Friday, December 30, 2011

Audio Book Review: Where She Went

Where She Went
by Gayle Forman
Audio by Penguin Audio
Narrated by Dan Bittner
Young Adult
Sequel to “If I Stay”
Rating: 3 stars

Summary from GoodReads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Don’t get confused. This story is told from Adam’s point of view and also begins three years after the accident. I expected it to begin where the prior book left off. So beginning the story, I was confused and did not like the book. I kept persevering, because where are you going to go listening to this in the car, and was glad I did.

As the ideas began to come together in my head and I got to the point in the story where it all started making sense, I enjoyed the book. I liked the relationships and feelings that were explored after the accident. Between Adam and his “girlfriend”, how Adam felt when he saw Mia for the first time, the things Mia said to Adam after meeting since the accident. These ideas made me think about all sides and all persons touched by accidents.

The last paragraph makes the book sound heavy, but it is not. It’s a short and enjoyable read.

I did like the narrator. He did not do extreme voice changes for characters and so sometimes that was a little confusing when you thought it was still Adam talking. He did have inflection and was enjoyable to listen to. Trying to do more audio books to get used to listening and this was a good pick.

Verdict: I gave this 3 stars because it just wasn’t as captivating as the first book. However, to those who have read the first book, I would recommend reading this book just to learn Where She Went.

No comments :