Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book Review: Fatal Fixer-Upper

Fatal Fixer-Upper
by Jennie Bentley
Format: Paperback
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Part of a Series: Do-It-Yourself Mysteries
Rating: 2 stars

Summary from GoodReads:

First in the new Do-It-Yourself mystery series!

Avery Baker was once a New York designer, but inheriting her aunt’s old Maine cottage has led her down a new career path—home renovation. Now, with help from hunky handyman Derek Ellis, Avery starts learning the ABCs of DIY. But when the designer-turned-renovator finds clues that lead to a missing professor, she wonders if she can finish the house without getting finished off in the process.

My Review:

I love the setting in the little town in Maine. Nice description of what the town was and where on the waters edge. I did like the mystery with the ending being very climatic and not what I was expecting. The author was able to develop some good characters to support the main character. My favorite character was the owner of the B&B, she seemed to be the hub of the town. I found myself wishing she could be the mystery solving sleuth. The main character, Avery Baker, was not one of my favorites. She was kind of whiny and I just couldnt image someone ultimately making the choice she did in the end. Not believable in my book. I know its fiction, but just seemed a little far fetched. The book did seem to kind of drag on at certain points. At times it was too full of detail and other times the plot jumped in time and I felt like I had missed something.

Verdict: Not for me, but not horrible. I did debate whether I should continue the series and decided not to at this time.

Recommendation: For those wanting to try a different cozy mystery. Hey maybe you’ll like it.


2 comments :

  1. It was a hard one to review. I liked a lot of aspects of it, but it just didn't grab me. Thanks for stopping.

    ReplyDelete