Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett

Murder is Binding
By Lorna Barrett
Format: Paperback
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Part of a Series: Book Town Mystery #1
Rating: 3 stars


Summary from GoodReads:



When she moved to Stoneham, city slicker Tricia Miles met nothing but friendly faces. And when she opened her mystery bookstore, she met friendly competition. But when she finds Doris Gleason dead in her own cookbook store, killed by a carving knife, the atmosphere seems more cutthroat than cordial. Someone wanted to get their hands on the rare cookbook that Doris had recently purchased-and the locals think that someone is Tricia. To clear her name, Tricia will have to take a page out of one of her own mysteries-and hunt down someone who isn't killing by the book.

As I was reading this book, I had a déjà vu moment. Im not sure if Ive read this book before or not. Maybe it was a similar book. Um, I dont know. Even after finishing it, I can better say Im pretty sure I have, but cant say for sure. Apparently this was before I discovered GoodReads and started keeping track of what I read. Does that ever happen to you?

My Review:
I did like that the setting was in a small town and specifically a book store. The main street for shopping was made up of several specialty type stores, each having a different specialty item that made them unique. Tricia runs the bookstore in the town. Her store neighbor is discovered murdered and the sleuthing begins. Tricias sister shows up in town right in the middle of all thats happening. Wanting to help and also getting involved with another citizen Tricia is not especially fond of. Differences aside, they are able to sleuth and solve the crime.
I think I missed true character development. There were many characters who came into Tricias life, but not enough development to get to know them. I didnt particularly like this. I think there was too much going on, but not specifically developing and happening other than the murder and it being solved.
Verdict: 3 stars. Im still pretty sure I read this book previously and I dont think I cared too much for it then either.
Small town, fun setting, I think it was just lacking in character development and who you could connect with.

4 comments :

  1. Too bad about the character development. The premise sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't awful. Maybe I should try book two and see what happens??

      Delete
  2. I keep seeing these mystery books with awesome covers but I'm just not a big mystery reader. It might just be because I've gotten into paranormal so much that the regular old mysteries just got pushed aside. But it's too bad this one didn't have very good character development, that certainly can ruin a story. It sounds good other then that though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't horrible. I had fun with the cozy mysteries early this year. I'll get back to them soon.

      Delete