Saturday, February 25, 2012

Book Review: On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle

On What Grounds
By Cleo Coyle
Format: Paperback
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Part of a Series: Coffeehouse Mysteries
 
Rating: 3 stars


Summary from GoodReads:

Introducing a delightful new series featuring Clare Cosi, manager of the historic Village Blend coffeehouse...

Clare arrives at work to discover the assistant manager dead in the back of the store, coffee grounds strewn everywhere. Two detectives investigate. But when they find no sign of forced entry or foul play, they deem it an accident. Still, Clare is not convinced. And after the police leave, Clare can't help wondering...If this was an act of murder, is she in danger?


My Review:

Being the first book of the series, I do have to attribute my lower rating to part of what was complete set up. I did not hate the book and enjoyed the characters and the setting. The mother-in-law sets up an interesting arrangement. I really can’t say more without giving some of the fun/suspense away. I do like the main character, Clare, but there was not a lot happening. More of the book was attributed to character development and scene setting that will likely aid in the continuation of the series. My favorite character is Madame. She is witty and cunning. Like I said earlier, she has imposed or by happenstance, created an interesting arrangement. I like the setting in New York and the author has written it to current time. She published this book after 9/11 and she does reflect on that a few times.

Verdict - This first book didn’t fully grip me, but I was not completely turned off either. It did seem like the series had potential.

Recommendation: For those wanting to find a new cozy mystery series who don’t mind waiting until another book in the series really kicks it off for them. And someone who also can be intrigued by the coffee industry. Quite a few interesting tidbits.

2 comments :

  1. I like the coffee aspect of it. Hopefully the rest of the series gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tidbits about the coffee as very interesting. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete