Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Book Review: Soulless by Gail Carriger


Soulless
By Gail Carriger
Format: Kindle Book
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Steampunk
Part of a Series: The Parasol Protectorate
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from GoodReads:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire—and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

My Review:

Okay, so I wasn’t so sure about this book. Yeah, I wanted to read it because of the great reviews, and because it would be my first steampunk book. I love historical romances and I love vampire and werewolf stories so I finally tackled the read. Oh did I mention I got this on a Kindle sale for $2.99. Oh Yeah!!

Alexia begins working with Lord Akeldama and Lord Maccon to find out who the vampire was that she killed. She goes with Lord Maccon to the Queen’s hive to investigate and emotions erupt. Alexis asks Lord Akeldama about the confusion between her and Lord Maccon and he says “in pack protocol we call it the bitches dance”. Sparks fly and the story takes off.

I loved the characters. Alexia’s mother is hysterical. Here she has her older daughter that is not married and oh my what is she going to do no one will want to marry such an old spinster. Alexia is a handful for her mother and as often indicated, it may be because she is half Italian.

After I finished this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a little slow in getting going, but when it finally took off, I could not put it down.

Verdict: 4 stars. An amazing romance!

Recommendation: For those who don’t think they like stories with vampires and werewolves, but love the Victorian era or historical romances. Remember, don’t give up in the beginning.

4 comments :

  1. Nice review Dalene! :) I have seriously heard nothing but good things about this series. I'm kind of like you. I haven't really gotten much into the steampunk genre, so for that reason I've been holding off reading it. But I so need to with there being so many raving reviews and all!

    ♥ Sarah @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - Thanks for stopping by!! It was a great book. I've started the second one, listening, and it is very good. Hope you get a chance soon to try the series.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one, I have it sitting on Mt.TBR. I've heard only good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll get to it soon. Thanks for stopping.

      Delete