Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book Review: State of the Onion


State of the Onion
By Julie Hyzy
Format: Paperback
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Part of a Series: White House Chef mysteries
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from GoodReads:
Introducing White House Assistant Chef Olivia Paras, who is rising-and sleuthing-to the top.
Includes recipes for a complete presidential menu! Never let them see you sweat-that's White House Assistant Chef Olivia Paras's motto, which is pretty hard to honor in the most important kitchen in the world. She's hell-bent on earning her dream job, Executive Chef. There's just one thing: her nemesis is vying for it, too. Well, that and the fact that an elusive assassin wants to see her fry.
My Review:
The action begins right away. Ollie had me laughing from the first chapter and all the way til the end. How she integrates herself right into the sleuthing with a no holds barred. I am familiar with where Ollie lives, at least the area of D.C. that is described. Makes it a lot easier to visualize. And guess who she’s dating, but shhh don’t tell.

What I liked least – Losing one of my favorite characters. I don’t really want to expand any more, no spoilers to be given away.

This book had me laughing in the beginning. The author has developed a fun character named Ollie. What a ham!! Oh and Henry was someone I fell in love with as well. It was funny because I worried about the pan purchased as a retirement gift the whole time. Kind of funny what we focus our thoughts on sometimes.

Verdict: 4 stars. A fun and entertaining cozy mystery.

Recommendation: For those who want to laugh and/or find a great new beginning to a cozy mystery series.

4 comments :

  1. Aaaack! I hate losing a favorite character too! It's the worst feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a surprise in the books following. SShhh guess who?

      Delete
  2. This looks like a really good action packed mystery series with some humor..great review!

    ReplyDelete