Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book Review: Happy Birthday to Me Again

By Brian Rowe
Publish Date: September 2011
Genre: Young Adult
Series: #2
Personal Rating: 3 stars


Summary from Goodreads:
Cameron Martin has a huge problem: he’s aging a whole year of his life with each passing day… again. And this time... he's going backward!

When Cameron proposes to his beloved witch of a girlfriend Liesel, he thinks life can’t get any better. But when he reluctantly breaks off the engagement just days before the wedding, Liesel angrily unleashes another curse on the unlucky guy, this time making him age backward, from eighteen, all the way to
zero.

Making matters worse, Liesel mysteriously disappears, leaving Cameron with no options, except watching himself rapidly shrink into a helpless child. Will Liesel be able to save his life again? Or will Cameron ultimately fall prey to his girlfriend's wicked spell?

My Review:
The book again, like the first in the series, starts out with the “ending” and then you find out how Cameron came to be in that situation. So immediately you learn that Cameron is aging backwards (getting younger) this time. I was intrigued with the situation immediately, but it was the events of the book that lead me to wrinkle up my face and really go huh?? It just amazes me how people can have an idea for a story like this. It is so unlike anything that I’ve ever read.

A lot of things are normal for this 18 year old, as he is engaged to be married and his parents aren’t liking the idea, but when he starts getting younger the book picks up the pace. I did enjoy the events, some were a little far-fetched in my mind, but it did go with the story and style of the book.

Verdict: So I wasn’t sure how to rate this book and ended up giving it 3 stars. It was very different. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it and yes I would recommend it to those that have read the first book in this trilogy. I still love the first book. It’s awesome.


1 comment :

  1. Nice blog. As a lover of books you might be interested in the word play involved in cryptic crosswords. I am doing a series of posts on solving cryptic clues. This was the first one I did. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/cryptic-crosswords-solving-hints-1.html Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete