Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review: Latte Trouble

By Cleo Coyle
Publish Date: August 2005
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: #3
Personal Rating: 5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:
The Barnes & Noble Review
Greenwich Village coffee shop manager and amateur sleuth Clare Cosi is faced with her most perilous mystery yet in Latte Trouble, the third Coffeehouse Mystery by Cleo Coyle (On What Grounds and Through the Grinder).
It's Fashion Week in New York City -- and Clare's shop, the historic Village Blend, is the location of a prestigious insider's party for loyal customer and iconic designer Lottie Harmon, who is about to launch a collection of coffee-inspired accessories aptly named Java Jewelry. But the event, which is attended by the city's most zealous fashionistas, goes terribly wrong when a customer is poisoned and dies from cyanide in his latte. A barista, who coincidentally was recently dumped by the victim, is arrested and charged with murder. But Clare knows in her heart that her employee is innocent and begins to investigate the people surrounding the enigmatic Lottie Harmon. When Clare uncovers a scheme to blackmail one of Lottie's business partners and then that partner suddenly turns up dead, she knows that there is trouble brewing.

My Review:
This book gets personal for Clare. Her employee is now facing murder charges because the drink he made was the deadly factor for the victim. Knowing her employee is innocent, Clare sets out to solve the case. I liked this book because it brought together New York and the fashion industry. They just go together. As the story was written, I felt like I was watching Project Runway, as that was my only real life experience with designers and “fashionistas”.

This series has been so, so for me up to this point, but I absolutely loved this book. My favorite so far in the series! I guess it took me this many books to get connected with all the characters and the author’s style of writing. Clare’s relationship with her ex-husband continues to amaze me, but also her potential relationship with the detective. I was a little shocked at who the killer was and really enjoyed the mystery.

Verdict: 5 stars. A definite read! Hopefully you can stay with the first two books and not give up before the third. Definitely needs some building time to connect with the characters.
Recommendation: Looking for a new cozy, give this one a try.

2 comments :

  1. Glad you found your fav book in the series! It does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to start this series. I adore cozies and this one sounds really good. I read your review for the first in series and that does seem slow, as so many of the firsts are, but I will start from the beginning to get all the ins and outs of the setting and characters. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete