Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review: Juliet Immortal

By Stacey Jay
Genre: Young Adult
Published: August 2011
Personal Rating: 4 stars
Source: Library
Hardcover | Paperback | Kindle | Audiobook | Author's Website

Summary from GoodReads:
Fans of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush will relish this intense paranormal love story featuring Romeo and Juliet, literary history's most tragic couple, who meet again, not as true lovers, but truly as enemies.

The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

My Review:
I read a review right before I began reading this book and the reader/blogger did not love this book at all. The review indicated this style was not for them, they didn’t care for retold classics. As I began reading, I kept thinking “What if I don’t like this?” Wow, was I wrong. As the summary from GoodReads indicates that it’s for fans of Maggie Stiefvater, which I am a fan of, they were not wrong.

The love story(ies) are amazing and heartbreaking. Ariel, Ben, Gemma, Dylan, Mike. I grew to love all the characters and after figuring out the premise of the book, I was completely taken in. It is a Romeo Juliet Love Story Tragedy, but even more. The involvement of all the other characters into the main plot of the story consumed me. As you’re reading, you think “Oh she’s not going to get her man” because of course it’s a tragedy. But don’t think too soon!! The ending is amazing.

I was able to snag Romeo Redeemed from Netgalley and can’t wait to read it! Of course, the actual book doesn’t come out until October 2012 and so my review will not follow until about a week or so before.

Advice to Readers: Don’t begin reading it and wanting to compare it to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Yes, it does have a basis off that original story, but the premise of this book is amazing. If you want a great love story like Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, read this book.

6 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed this book too. I was sort of worried before I read it because I had read many reviews both for and against. I'm glad I decided for myself. I'm totally jealous you got the next book. I just may have to head over to NetGalley and see if I can get it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this book right now, and loving it so far! I also scored Romeo Redeemed from NetGalley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that quite often too! Reading other people's review before picking it up, I mean. And sometimes it feels as if they've read a completely different story. I guess it just shows how different we and our taste in books are. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What if I don’t like this?" That's what I'm asking myself too I've heard so many mixed opinions. But I AM a fan of Maggie's shiver series so I think I may try it eventually! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read mixed reviews on this one but it sounds like you loved it. I may have to check it out, I like the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Giselle said!
    I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare, but I did like the forbidden love quality of Romeo and Juliet. I've been wanting to read this one for a while, and the fact that you said you didn't think you'd like it and not to compare it to the original makes me want to read it even more!

    I thought I was following you. But I wasn't >.<
    So I fixed that :)

    ReplyDelete