Alibi in High Heels
By Gemma Halliday
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publish Date: February 2008
Personal Rating: 4 stars
Summary from GoodReads:
Baguettes, bodies, and haute couture galore! Shoe designer turned amateur sleuth, Maddie Springer, is at it again, this time in fabulously fashionable Paris. When Europe's designer de jour, Jean Luc LeCroix, invites Maddie to show her creations at Paris Fashion Week, Maddie's sure she's died and gone to heaven. That is until Jean Luc's top model is found dead on the runway, stabbed with a familiar stiletto heel. Sure someone is trying to frame her, Maddie enlists the help of her friends, including the sexy Detective Jack Ramirez, to uncover a daring jewel heist, a devious blackmailer, and even a few skeletons lurking in the closets of those closest to her. But as the evidence mounts, Maddie becomes the prime suspect and Ramirez is stuck between a badge and a cute blonde with a tendency for trouble. Will he stand by her as she attempts to track down an international killer, or will this be the case that finally comes between them? One thing's for sure, if Maddie doesn't uncover the real killer soon, she may be saying her final adieu.
Ten Fun Facts from the Book:
1. Picture Mrs. Rosenblatt in her mumu doing the cancan.
2. Maddie gets her detective skills from Law and Order and mimicks Charlie’s Angels once again.
3. Maddie gets banned from wearing high heels.
4. When Maddie’s mom helps Mrs. Rosenblatt’s with her image, drag queen comes to mind.
5. We visit Paris, London, and Milan. What a road trip.
6. Maddie does not speak Italian which tends to be a problem when she needs to call the police.
7. Mrs. Rosenblatt’s new vehicle is a yellow sports car.
8. Confessing to being a killer is not a good idea.
9. Gucci’s vs. Scissors. Which one wins?
10. A huge surprise at the end of the book.
Again, I adored this book in the series. There is no staleness with the story and plot. The characters are still fun and invigorating. Of course, we are introduced to new characters who are just as connectable. (If that’s a word?) Can’t wait to see what happens in the next book.
What to Read Next?
Mayhem in High Heels the next book in the series, or if you haven’t yet, pick up Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. If you’ve already tried that, check out Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich part of the Barnaby and Hooker series.