Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review in Rewind: Left to Die by Lisa Jackson

Being a new blogger, there are several excellent books I read before I started blogging. This will be my attempt to share what I loved reading prior to joining the blogging community. With the fourth book in Lisa Jackson's To Die series just released last week, I’ve decided to start with a review of the first book in the series, Left to Die.

Title: Left to Die
Author: Lisa Jackson
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Publish Date: August 2008
Personal Rating: 5 Stars


Amazon | Author’s Website | GoodReads

Summary:
Nothing's More Terrifying. . .
One by one, the victims are carefully captured, toyed with, then subjected to a slow and agonizing death. Piece by piece, his exquisite plan takes shape. The police can't yet see the beauty in his work--but soon, very soon, they will. . .
Than Being Left Alone. . .
In the lonely woods around Grizzly Point, Montana, four bodies have been discovered. Detectives Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli have been hoping for a career-making case, but this is a nightmare. Even with the FBI involved, Selena and Regan have nothing to go on but a killer's cryptic notes, and the unsettling knowledge that there is much worse to come. . .
To Die. . .
When Jillian Rivers opens her eyes, she's trapped in a mangled car. Then a stranger, claiming to be a trail guide named Zane McGregor, pries her free. Though she's grateful, something about him sets Jillian on edge. And if she knew what lay out there in the woods of Montana, she'd be truly terrified. Because someone is waiting... watching... poised to strike and make Jillian the next victim...

My Review:
I received this book as a birthday present, so I didn’t pick it out for myself. However, the book was chosen for me by my sister-in-law because she knew of my love for mysteries/thrillers. I was not disappointed. Totally hooked, I quickly read the book. Each page was riveting and I soon found myself at the end of the book and wanting to read more. I found that this was the first book in the series and disappointed, I would have to wait for the additional installments.

I like how the main characters Alvarez and Pescoli have been developed and the personal storyline associated with each one. As a reader, I like to learn about the characters and what else is going on in their lives with the exception of the case at hand. Regan has teenagers she is trying to deal with, as well as an ex-husband. The relationship between Regan and Selena is interesting as it develops.

The author has created an amazing predator. This character is creepy and very smart. He just wants to be recognized for his handiwork. The book does not detail in too much graphic detail the torture of the victims, but just enough to provide the information needed for the story.

After I read this book, I did try the author’s other books, but was not as satisfied and have not found them to be of the same quality. The books from this series are definitely on my auto buy and I have not been disappointed yet.

I loved the different viewpoints; from the story at the cabin, to the story at each drop spot, this book is very intriguing and gripping.

What to Read Next?
I would suggest reading Harlan Coben’s The Woods or Tell No One.

4 comments :

  1. Ohhhhhhh I think I have this one, definitely need to read it soon.

    I also have Tell No One as a highly recommended read for this year.

    Thanks for the rewind favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I'm working on a thriller/crime drama manuscript myself and, for someone who writes this, I don't ready NEARLY enough of it! I'd like so see someone else's creepy predator and compare! I'll TBR this one! Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some Lisa Jackson before and I had the same experience as you... I liked one and didn't care for the subsequent one. When she's on she's ON. I'll have to check this one out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first 3 or 4 chapters and as I live in Montana I just couldn't get past the "fiction of Montana". I guess I like a little true facts to go along with my fiction. Montana doesn't have State police. The drive from Seattle to Missoula is a 4 lane interstate not some horrible twisted road with no one else on it. No such town as Grizzly Falls nor the county it is suppose to be in and the sheriffs departments don't have helicopters that at a moments notice can go look for stranded vehicles. It was just to off for my taste.

    ReplyDelete