Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Writing Book Reviews


Get Creative with Book Reviews - How to Write for Fun Reading

In my quest to write better book reviews, I’ve been researching the internet for prompt questions, templates, suggestions etc. This is what I’ve found and how I have applied it to my review writing.

I tried to Google creative book review. I found a lot of information for school aged kids to write a book report or be creative with another type of book report, ie. writing on lettuce, singing a song, whatever you can think of, didn’t quite cross over to the blogging world. However, I wanted to be creative with my reviews so they were fun to read.

I then Googled character map thinking back to school when we talked about the characters of the books in a class discussion, etc. I found this map at:


Okay, getting somewhere, but I didn’t really want to writing a character analysis review. Talking about the characters were okay, but I didn’t think I should psychoanalyze each character and report to the blogging world.

So then I changed my Google search words and typed in “how to write a creative book review”. Much better results and I found the following articles:



There is a lot of information in these three posts, one being very basic and the other two getting fairly detailed. Well now I had the information I was looking for but I wanted to be able to write short, concise, fun reviews. Not the same review, each and every time. I decided to categorize the questions into similar topics and made a template with questions I will try to answer with each review. I choose only those questions I feel relate to the book and will help create an awesome review.

I have found that when I read review, I am one who likes to read a short review and so that is what I tend to write. I like variety when I write and when I read.

I recently came across a blog (didn’t make specific note) wherein the writer of the blog indicated they included spoilers in their reviews because they felt like they couldn’t address the good and bad of the book without doing so. That got me to thinking and many times I do struggle with writing a review because I am trying not to include any spoilers. In a recent review of mine, I was able to incorporate a spoiler that wasn’t necessarily a spoiler and thought that was a lot of fun.

Sometimes my reviews just come together very easy and eloquently. I love it and wish I could write reviews like that all the time. I know that after writing many reviews, especially if I love the book, I will be able to write an awesome review.

So, ending this post,

Do you use a template to write reviews?
Do you consistently review the same way each time?
Do you like to read or write long or short reviews?

6 comments :

  1. I prefer short review, and I do think I do the same kinds of things all the time. Thanks so much for sharing the links! Awesome idea! I'll definitely look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my review style changes all the time actually. It's different for every book really and I don't follow a specific structure. They do get quite long sometimes, but I generally prefer it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post. I really enjoy writing book reviews. Like you, I don't like to include spoilers. The review is basically my honest opinion on the book. If I love a book I do find it easier to review. One of the links you share here advises to catch the readers attention with the first line in your review. That's good advice.
    Thanks for an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally write middle-length reviews, not too short but not too long, and I break it up with 3-5 paragraphs.

    Thanks for doing this post, learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I've been reviewing for two years and it's hard to find a reviewing style that fits you and your readership at the same time.

    I use a template. I use the synopsis from GoodReads, point out what I liked and what I didn't like. I also try to make recommendations on who the book would be good for and who might want to avoid the book.

    I like to both read and write shorter reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a design. I use the summary from GoodReads, factor out what I liked and what I didn't like. I also try to create suggestions on who the guide would be excellent for and who might want to prevent the guide.
    RS 2007 Gold

    ReplyDelete