Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory

Title: Fire Burn and Caldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins #1)
Author: H.P. Mallory
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publish Date: July 2010
Personal Rating: 4 stars

Amazon | Author’s Website | GoodReads

Summary:
Life isn't bad for psychic Jolie Wilkins. True, she doesn't have a love life to speak of, but she has a cute house in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a cat and a quirky best friend.

Enter Rand Balfour, a sinfully attractive warlock who insists she's a witch and who just might turn her life upside down. Rand hires her to help him solve a mystery regarding the death of his client who also happens to be a ghost. Jolie not only uncovers the cause of the ghost's demise but, in the process, she brings him back to life!

Word of Jolie’s incredible ability to bring back the dead spreads like wildfire, putting her at the top of the underworld’s most wanted list. Consequently, she finds herself at the center of a custody battle between a villainous witch, a dangerous but oh-so-sexy vampire, and her warlock boss, Rand.

My Review:
Sometimes we think we need more in our life. Jolie had just done this and is now second guessing herself and wanting her old boring life back.

This was a fun book. I decided to read it as I picked up the fourth book from Netgalley and decided I should hurry and read all prior books. I loved the cover(s) which also made me want to read the book/series.

Definitely a quick read. Being the first book of the series, there is the need for set up, but this was very well done. Just adding a few characters and details a little at a time. I never did get overwhelmed with the information. At the end of the book, I did realize there was a lot of information, but it had been dosed in small amounts. Very well done by the author.

The main characters are Jolie and Rand. I thought Jolie was a great main character. At times she kind of got on my nerves, but overall I did like her. Rand was okay. I did want for Jolie to connect with Rand, but decided he’s definitely not my type. I might have chosen Sinjin. Ooh, the bad boy.

I was surprised with the level of “hotness” in this book. It was fine for me, but if you don’t like slightly detailed sex scenes, you may not want to read this book. I enjoyed this book very much. The fact that Jolie is learning she’s a witch is a lot of fun. The training, the fights, the wars, etc. makes for a great story.

What to Read Next?

This book reminded me of Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series. Start with the first book Dead Until Dark.

2 comments :

  1. I've been seeing a lot about this series lately. I'm going to have to pick it up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolie also seemed to get on my nerves at times. I've read the first two in the series and it is entertaining. I have the novella and the third book on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete