Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

Title: The End of the Affair
Author: Graham Greene
Genre: Romance
Publish Date: 1951
Personal Rating: 3.5 stars
AmazonGoodReads

Summary:
The love affair between Maurice Bendix and Sarah, flourishing in the turbulent times of the London Blitz, ends when she suddenly and without explanation breaks it off. Two years later, after a chance meeting, Bendix hires a private detective to follow Sarah, and slowly his love for her turns into an obsession.

My Review:
Okay, first I have to say, take note that this book was published in 1951. The first thing I noticed was how long the paragraphs were compared to today’s writing. Anyways, not to take away from the writing it was very well written.

This book was recommended to me by a friend who I had suggested read 50 Shades and let me know if I should read it. He’s read the first two, but needed a break before finishing the trilogy. This was his break book and in return he recommended this book to me. He listened to the book which is read by Colin Firth and in his words was excellent.

My friend touted this book as a man’s romance book, so with that idea in mind as I began reading, I could see what he meant. Very different from a woman’s romance. If you want to separate them as such, which sometimes my coworkers make sure they label man and woman things. Go figure.
The main character Bendix to me had a lot of hate inside. Not that he was a hateful person, but there was a lot of hate inside of him. I wasn’t sure if he just hated being alive or what. And his loving Sarah, maybe why they would have been good together, I felt also hated her situation. She obviously was torn, but torn between what and who? Her husband was also an interesting character who in my words existed in life. He didn’t exude hate or happiness. Come on Henry grow a backbone. My favorite character was Parkis the private detective. What a good man who was trying to take care of his boy and do his job. He was also caught up in the affair.

If you decide to read this, just know that in the beginning things may not make sense, but it will all come together as the book finishes. There are several points of view being written in the separate “books” of the book. I thought it was a great story and I’m not sure if I would call it a romance or a love story, but my ending question was how many affairs did she have?

What to Read Next?
A great romance written by a male author Nights of Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks.

1 comment :

  1. A mans romance? Sounds interesting.
    Oh my gosh, if you are reading Nights of Rodanthe next, I hope you enjoy it. That is one of my fav Sparks novels.

    ReplyDelete