Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Review in Rewind: Nora Roberts

Being a new blogger, there are several excellent books I read before I started blogging. This will be my attempt to share what I loved reading prior to joining the blogging community.


Nora Roberts has written many books and of those books she has several trilogies. I love her trilogies as the story with the characters is just a little bit longer than her stand alones. She does an amazing job and my favorite, even though I really enjoyed them all, is In the Garden trilogy.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts comes the first novel in the new In the Garden trilogy. Against the backdrop of a house steeped in history and a thriving new gardening business, three women unearth the memories of the past and uncover a dangerous secret-finding in each other the courage to take chances and embrace the future. (Goodreads)

This trilogy has plenty of romance and adds a touch paranormal. I read this before I really knew about the paranormal genre. I thoroughly enjoyed this series.


Title: Blue Dahlia (In the Garden #1)
Author: Nora Roberts
Genre: Romance
Publish Date: December 2004
Personal Rating: 4 stars
Amazon | Author’s Website | GoodReads

Synopsis:
Trying to escape the ghosts of the past, young widow Stella Rothchild, along with her two energetic little boys, has moved back to her roots in southern Tennessee-and into her new life at Harper House and In the Garden nursery. She isn't intimidated by the house-nor its mistress, local legend Roz Harper. Despite a reputation for being difficult, Roz has been nothing but kind to Stella, offering her a comfortable new place to live and a challenging new job as manager of the flourishing nursery. As Stella settles comfortably into her new life, she finds a nurturing friendship with Roz and with expectant mother Hayley. And she discovers a fierce attraction with ruggedly handsome landscaper Logan Kitridge.

But someone isn't happy about the budding romance...the Harper Bride. As the women dig into the history of Harper House, they discover that grief and rage have kept the Bride's spirit alive long past her death. And now, she will do anything to destroy the passion that Logan and Stella share...

My Review:
The Harper Bride, the ghost, is the paranormal element. For me, the ghost also brought a little suspense to the story. There isn’t enough to call it a Romantic Suspense, but just enough to make sure you read with the light open. Maybe not for everyone, but for myself I did get a little spooked.

Stella is one tough cookie. She is very strong and a strong support for Hayley. Stella is almost too strong and independent that she misses the romantic opportunity with Logan. The love story is great. Nora Roberts knows how to make you want to fall in love all over again.

The best part of the book, if you fall in love with the characters, you get to meet up with them again in the next two books; Black Rose and Red Lily. Black Rose is Roz’s story and Red Lily is Hayley’s story.

So, if you love a good romance, a little paranormal and suspense, give this trilogy a try.

4 comments :

  1. I used to read Nora Roberts, I should start up again. I read this one long ago, but never continued with the series. She has one called Midnight Bayou that I really enjoyed.
    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read Midnight Bayou. I think I have it on my TBR pile somewhere. Maybe I will read it next.

      Delete
  2. Crazy, I know, but I have yet to try Nora Roberts, but have been meaning to. I think that it is a great idea to feature some books that you have read in your pre-blogging days. I often review post pub books myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora is one of my go to author's. I have read almost all of her books and like you I love trilogies. Since I am a fast reader and become emotionally invested I like that the story continues. Great review!

    ReplyDelete