Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Title: Beautiful Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire
Genre: Romance
Publish Date: May 2011
Personal Rating: 5 stars

About the Book:

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
My Review:
Wow!! There were so many feelings and emotions as I read this book that it was just amazing. While I put this as a romance book, it was not your typical sweet and mushy romance at all. It was rough at times, pulled at the heartstrings, made you mad, sad, and happy. There were times I wanted to close my eyes because I could not believe what was happening and then there were other times I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. I read this book in one day.

I don’t really know what to say other than it was just amazing! I liked all of the characters from Abby and her supposed naivety, to Travis and his rough and toughness, their friends America and Shepley, and even Abby’s roommate Kara. There was Travis’ family of brothers and Abby’s dad. This book portrays very well that families are not perfect, maybe a little dysfunctional or a lot dysfunctional, but that we are all seeking something better.

I also enjoyed the college setting. Having not actually attended college as a dorm student and living away from home, I really enjoyed the talk about the underground, the parties, the cafeteria, etc. I could picture the campus and excitement of college life.

If you are looking for something to shake your world and take your time away from laundry, cooking, and other responsibilities, you should read this book. Just beware that you will be hooked within the first few pages.

1 comment :