Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Take this Regret by A.L. Jackson


Contemporary Romance
Title: Take This Regret
Author: A. L. Jackson

Published: 4/5/12


About the Book:
There are some mistakes we make that we will regret for the rest of our lives. For Christian, it was the day he betrayed Elizabeth.
Christian Davison has a plan for his life. He is determined to become an attorney and to one day take his place as partner in his father’s law firm. Nothing will stand in his way, not even Elizabeth Ayers and their unborn child.

After Christian cuts her from his life, Elizabeth spends the next five years struggling to provide for her daughter and willing to sacrifice anything to give her child a safe, comfortable life.

For five years, Christian has regretted the day he walked away from his family and will do anything to win them back just as Elizabeth will do anything to protect her daughter from the certain heartache she believes Christian will bring upon them.

When Christian wrestles his way into their lives, Elizabeth is faced with asking herself if it is possible to forgive someone when they’ve committed the unforgiveable and if it is possible to find a love after it has been buried in years of hate. Or are there some wounds that go so deep they can never heal?

They say everyone deserves a second chance.




My Review:
Christian and Elizabeth were madly in love with one another until Christian makes a choice that drives a wedge into the relationship.

I love a good contemporary romance. Many times I find the plot very similar to other romances, which is kind of what I expected here, but that was not the case. This book reminded me of the great many romances out there, but also had family conflicts which reminded me of novels by Kristin Hannah and Barbara Freethy.

Elizabeth was a great mother who had taken her circumstances and done the best she could for herself and her daughter, Lizzie. Lizzie is adorable. I definitely fell in love with Lizzie as her dad did when he first met her. Christian is a great man, who made some poor choices and is trying to rectify those the best way he knows how. I think his father may have had some influence on these choices, but when Christian grows up, he can see clearly for himself.

Even though this love story is mainly about the love between Christian, Elizabeth, and Lizzie, I can see the side love stories of Christian with his mother and father, and Elizabeth with her friend Matt and cousin Natalie. I really enjoyed Natalie’s character. She was supportive to Elizabeth and Lizzie, but very smart on her own. She was able to see things clearly and did not judge according to the past. She provided a fresh perspective and balance to the characters.

There is a lot of relationship drama going on within the love story among the characters, but I enjoyed this. There is a lot of growth between couples and families. I think Christian’s mother is one strong woman, but only after she realized her weakness.

Very well written and worth your time to read if you love romances. There is some strong language and a few descriptive sex scenes.



Author Bio
A.L. Jackson first found a love for writing during her days as a young mother and college student.  She filled the journals she carried with short stories and poems used as an emotional outlet for the difficulties and joys she found in day-to-day life.
 
Years later, she shared a short story she’d been working on with her two closest friends and, with their encouragement, this story became her first full length novel. A.L. now spends her days writing in Southern Arizona where she lives with her husband and three beautiful children. Her favorite pastime is spending time with the ones she loves. 

Thank you to A.L. Jackson for spending a little time with us today to answer some questions.

1.“Chocolate or vanilla?”

Vanilla.

2. What has been the toughest criticism you’ve been given as an author. How did you make that a positive?

I think criticism can be hard for all authors, but the most difficult for me to read is when someone says something along the lines ofNo one would act this wayorFeel this waywhen I took it from a personal experience. That can hurt. But it helped me to expand my thought processes as a writer out to imagine what readers might feel when reading a certain situation. Its all part of growth as a writer.

3. How does your writing process look? Consistent with regular amounts of word counts daily/weekly… or more sporadic with a gush of words all at once and then a dry bed for a while?

I usually need a solid chunk of time to get my ideas flowing, so I usually wait until I know I can sit for five or six hours before I sit down to write. I’ll try to get inside my characters heads by jotting thoughts and ideas down, which can take me about an hour, and then it usually comes as a gush of words.

4. What would YOU like your readers to know about this book or you in general?

Well, I was a young mother myself, so I often write young mothers into my stories. l use those experiences, fears, and joys I felt in the characters in my books.

5. Which character speaks the loudest to you? Do any of them clamor to be heard over the others?

Christian. It seems my male leads always take the limelight.

6. I find it interesting to know what environment people write in. Do they use a pen and paper, laptop? Quiet room, music or what? Dog at their feet? Cat on the desk? What does your writing environment entail?

Most of the time youll find me in my office writing. Theres a window near my desk that I will stare out as Im trying to gather my thoughts. I keep a notebook at my side so I can jot down my thoughts, and then when they begin to flow, I switch over to my computer to put it all into words. I definitely use music to set the tone for my writing session, but usually will flip it off once I get started. I dont have any pets, but Im sure my partner and our office assistant would jump on the idea of bringing their dogs over to sit at our feet.

7. What led you to write this book?

There was no true inspiration or decision to write Take This Regret, but I began to get a vague sense of the main characters, Christian and Elizabeth, and their circumstances. I continued thinking about them over some period of time, and when their story came together, I sat down to write out the plot and began an outline.

8. What is best writing advice you can give?

Never give up. If writing is your passion, take the time to hone your skills, work hard, and enjoy the ride.
Publisher Website
Twitter
Facebook
Blog


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*

2 comments :

  1. The book sounds great, I enjoy romance and these type of involved stories where there is drama. Great interview as well ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post.

    I just started to follow you thanks to RCCleanup, and wondered if you'd like to drop by my blog. If so, the url is http://emaginette.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete