Thursday, September 6, 2012

Interview with Indie Author L.L. Muir

I'm excited to have Author L.L. Muir visiting the blog today. We can get to know her and her characters a little better before the review of her book Somewhere Over the Freaking Rainbow that will post tomorrow.

Thanks for taking some time to answer a few questions.


“Chocolate or vanilla?” CHOCOLATE PLEASE.

What is your deepest darkest secret or most embarrassing moment? (If you want to share.) Just happened. Lying on my hotel bed in my underwear, at night, for who knows how long, only to realize I’d only pulled the sheers closed. And the lights were on. I was on the ground floor, window facing the parking lot. I wanted to die rather than get up to face that window and pull the drapes. Then I acted all cool like it didn’t bother me. My blush has not faded yet.

I love the title “Somewhere Over the Freaking Rainbow”, How did you come up with the title?

My agent said my title was boring. She wanted a list of options. After I filled a page with more lame ideas, I was spent, so I ended it with “Call it SOMEWHERE OVER THE FREAKING RAINBOW for all I care.” She loved it.

What led you to write this book? Beautiful Creatures. I loved that book and wanted young people and romance readers to have more options like that. And I had a houseful of teen boys at the time who I was trying to impress.

I love book covers and participate in a meme called Shelf Candy Saturday. If you were to participate in this meme, what would be your shelf candy cover showcase? (Yours or another authors) A middle grade book called The Janitors. I was so envious when I first saw that cover. I think the artist also did covers for Fablehaven.

In your Somewhere Over the Freaking Rainbow, which character speaks the loudest, to you? It has to be the main character, Jamison. Crap happens in our childhood that warps our self-image. When we finally get brave enough to say “screw it”, we become powerful creatures ourselves—we can fight anything that stands in our way after that. And sometimes, it takes a stranger to help us find another mirror.

What sort of Starbuck’s coffee would your main character(s)s order? Simple coffee, complicated soy-non-fat-extra-espresso-half-caff-nightmare? Hed order whatever he Scottish grandfather was having. He so wants to be that man someday.

I find it interesting to know what environment people write in. Do they use a pen and paper, laptop? Quiet room, music or what? Dog at their feet? Cat on the desk? Just whatever makes it comfortable to be productive. Just a thought. Must. Write. In. A. Vacuum. So that means a quiet office with threats on the door, written in blood. I’m so easily manipulated by music and candles and lighting. I have to be able to just jump inside the movie and start writing down what I see.

How does your writing process look? Consistent with regular amounts of word counts daily/weekly… or more sporadic with a gush of words all at once and then a dry bed for a while? Daily word count? Bleep no! I’m all or nothing. I gush, but I can gush on cue if I can get to a quiet place for a while.

What is best writing advice you can give? Write a sentence. Rewrite the sentence to make it more interesting. Do it again to make it clear and simple. Rearrange the words to make it the most powerful sentence it can be. Then write another sentence and do the same thing. Once you have that down, you can do it a paragraph at a time, then a page, then a chapter. This is called practicing your craft. If you can do it with one sentence, you can write a whole book. Four days ago, I started a new book in a writing race with other authors. Three days later, the book was done. It doesn’t have to torture you for a year. And mind you, this was like the tenth book I’ve written. But my longest only took three months. I’ll forget too much if I drag it out longer.

What book/author inspired you to write? Who do you admire or “wish to be”? I’m a big Lynn Kurland fan, but my first loves were Patricia McKillip, Ursula LeGuin, and Anne McCaffrey. Who can ride a dragon and not end up wanting to write fiction for the rest of their lives? As for romance, Julie Garwood showed me that I could write about Scotland AND CALL IT A PROFESSION!
 

L.L. Muir writes novels between bowls of cereal. She has recently been told she is eccentric and has determined to live up to the hype. She writes paranormal and historical fiction for both adults and young people and her stories tend to include at least one Scotsman, a waif on a crusade, and a warrior with a lost soul. Her motto is: ANY man will look better in a kilt.

1 comment :