Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye by Shari Brady


Title: Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye
Author: Shari A. Brady
Genre: Young Adult
Publish Date: June 11, 2012
Personal Rating: 4 stars
Amazon | GoodReads







About the Book:
Before my older sister Francesca died, I worked at the bakery and wrote songs, but now I write lists. Lists like ten reasons why it's my fault Francesca's dead, or five reasons why I should try and win Howie back, or one reason why I need to stop lying to everyone, including myself.

Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye is an extraordinary novel about one family's struggle to make sense of their world after losing a family member to addiction. Through sixteen-year-old Carmella's eyes, we witness the courage and strength it takes to overcome the consequences of grief, guilt and co-dependency. With conviction and determination, Carmella shows us what can happen when we're open to love, feel the pain of our loss, and find the courage to accept the truth of our lives.

My Review:
I chose to read this book because the synopsis was very appealing especially when paired with the title of the book. In the very beginning, I did not think I was going to like it. The writing seemed a little rough, but it was still a fairly easy read. The book did grow on me as I kept reading. When I finished, I was quite surprised with the rating I knew I would give this book. As soon as the book was done setting up what had happened and who everyone was, I fell in love with the power of the drama, emotions, and love that was all wrapped up in this book.

My favorite character was Mrs. Sparacini, the bakery boss. Even though she was not a main character of the book, she had a strong influence on the story and the characters. Was it not her that was there for Howie and Carmella? And Carmella knew she could count on Mrs. Sparacini.

I was amazed with how much growth Carmella had from the beginning of the book to the end. In the beginning she was withdrawn and running away from everything. In the end, she had become quite strong and I loved how she handled the situation with Donny. I think Howie had a lot to do with Carmella’s growth. He helped her be able to see things differently, whether it was that he had been there done that or that he really cared about her for who she was.

All in all I thought this was a good book. I’m glad I had the opportunity to read it and glad I stuck with it.



About the Author
Shari A. Brady is a native Chicagoan and previously had so many careers she’s lost count. A graduate of Loyola University’s Business School and University of Chicago’s Creative Writing program, she’s finally a full-time writer, a dream she’s carried with her since she was twelve. She lives in suburban Chicago with her awesome husband, two of the best kids ever, and their shelter dog, Betty Queen Elizabeth. This is her first novel and her last career.

Shari A Brady Online:
Website http://www.sharibrady.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ShariABradyAuthor
Twitter https://twitter.com/sharibrady
Good Reads http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6426270.Shari_A_Brady


a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments :

  1. I liked your review! I was part of the tour also and I loved this book! It was just amazing, and has changed a little bit my life ^^

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when some books surprise you when you didn't think you were going to like them! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little late to the game, but just discovered Shari. Loved the book, although not so much at the beginning. Ending perfect.

    ReplyDelete