Saturday, October 27, 2012

Indie Author Review: DiSemblance by Shanae Branham

Title: DiSemblance
Author: Shanae Branham
Genre: Young Adult
Publish Date: August 2012
Personal Rating: 4.5 stars
Amazon | GoodReads
 

About the Book:
Jason Tanner’s life has always been different from the ordinary citizen’s. It started when he was an infant and his parents were only teenagers. A computer science prodigy, Lloyd attended MIT but left a pariah in the eyes of the school’s dean—but a computer physics genius in the eyes of his primary investor. Then his theories and ideas created a holographic machine and their world shrunk as contact with the outside world became less and less frequent. A computer prodigy now himself, Jason is about to learn that the world never waits for you if you have the ability to change it: it will come for you.
Detective Bruce Durante has been handed the case of the Comfort Killer, a serial killer so named because he appears to abduct terminally ill patients before returning their corpses to their families in refrigerated coffins. When he picks up the trail, it leads straight to the home of Lloyd Tanner.

Jason has been living life through the world of Lloyd’s invention and wishing he could carry on a relationship with Boston, the beautiful girl next door. When his father is murdered and framed as the Comfort Killer, he is brought back to reality in a hurry. He is forced to destroy all of the planted evidence—and finds he is being targeted as the killer’s new fall guy. But the secrets of his father’s invention run deep and Jason, his brother Isaac,Boston, the Comfort Killer, and Detective Durante hurtle towards one another on a deadly collision course that leaves everyone’s life hanging in the balance.
 

My Review:
Definition of dissemblance: The state of being disguised or concealed behind a false apperance.

This book was amazing! This book is another example of why I love indie authors. After receiving the request, I read through it thoroughly as I always do. Sometimes if I don’t have time, I will come back to the request at a later date. I read the synopsis and thought, no this book is not my type at all. For the most part I don’t read fantasy and I definitely don’t do futuristic, so I was pretty sure I would pass on this request. However, the mystery side of it caught my attention and so after some thought, I decided to read this book and I’m sure glad I did.

The book was very fast paced. The chapters are short and immediately you are caught up in the story. Flip flopping back and forth basically between Jason’s point of view and Det. Durante’s point of view and so you have to keep reading because you have to find out what happened to Jason, but it’s after the chapter involving the detective, and so on and so on and so on. The pages just flew.
I really enjoyed the idea and plot of the story. It had my head spinning throughout the entire book and especially in the end. There is no up and down with the book, the story just carries from beginning to end. I liked all of the characters and I especially liked how the author was able to weave in just a little bit of personal side story to get you hooked with the characters.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read. I would highly recommend this to those who enjoy thrillers and mysteries, as well as fantasy and futuristic. This story will knock your socks off!


No comments :

Post a Comment