Monday, October 29, 2012

Review in Rewind: The Book Thief

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Genre: Young Adult
Publish Date: March 2006
Personal Rating: 4 stars
Amazon | GoodReads

About the Book:
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .





Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul. 

My Review:
Another book I read before blogging. I heard rumor of a movie and so decided to feature it as my Review in Rewind.

Very interesting book. Why it's classified as a Young Adult is beyond me. The style of writing is very different, but I liked it after I got used to it. The story centers around a 10 to 14 year old girl and her life during the time of Hitler. The narrator of the book is "death".

These were the notes I made on my Goodreads review prior to blogging and writing full reviews. I do remember that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was definitely dark and at the point that I realized “death” was the narrator, it took on a whole new feel for me.

I chose to read the book because I absolutely loved “Diary of Anne Frank” which was from the same time era. While the two books are very different in how they were written, obviously due to age and fiction/non-fiction, I absolutely loved both of them. Two young girls impressionable during such a time of hate and they are able to continue to show kindness. I also loved how Liesel is so taken with books and attempts at helping others during the difficult times with her love of books and reading. This book definitely invoked many different feelings while reading.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone; Historical fiction and young adult fiction readers alike. A great book with a lot of discussion elements.

 

1 comment :

  1. Now i would enjoy this, and will recommend this to my book club. Lovely review and glad you chose to highlight it!

    ReplyDelete