Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Books and Authors I Am Thankful For


I am thankful for Books and Authors because...

I absolutely love books. As a reader of every genre, pretty much, my TBR pile is quite large and growing more so every day.. However, thinking back, there are many books and authors I am thankful for, but to keep this post short, I am limiting myself to just a few.

The very first book I would have to say I am very grateful for is Where the Red Fern Grows. This is my favorite all time youth book. This is one of the very few books I have ever re-read. I’m not typically a re-reader of books because there are just too many new ones. I remember when reading the book the second time, munching on Doritos, as I love to do when I read, I cried my eyes out. Yeah I knew the ending, but still I cried!! Definitely a classic in my book from my youth. I think it was with this book that I was totally hooked to reading.

Two authors I am very grateful for are Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. My mom introduced me to these authors of Historical Romance when I was in my early teens. At this time in the availability of books, there were so many books that were very juvenile and so many others that were way beyond my years. Both authors were able to help me get through this reading gap and still be the voracious reader I am today. With that being said, I am now very thankful for the young adult books that have now emerged so readers of youth can continue through teenage and into adulthood. To date, my favorite young adult books are Maggie Stiefvater’s Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.

As an adult, I am grateful for all of the historical fictions books. Not being a non-fiction reader, I love these books that will provide me with a few facts and then weave an interesting story between. A few of these books are: Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and the Book Thief.

I imagine I could go on and on, but just wanted to share these few thankful things.

1 comment :

  1. Great post. You have such a good point about historical fiction. I feel like I'm actually learning and getting that escape from reality at the same time. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete