Monday, November 26, 2012

Review in Rewind: Friday Night Knitting Club

Title: Friday Night Knitting Club
Author: Kate Jacobs
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Publish Date: January 2007

Amazon | GoodReads

About the Book:

A charming and moving novel about female friendship and the experiences that knit us together-even when we least expect it.

Walker and Daughter is Georgia Walker's little yarn shop, tucked into a quiet storefront on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The Friday Night Knitting Club was started by some of Georgia's regulars, who gather once a week to work on their latest projects and to chat-and occasionally clash-over their stories of love, life, and everything in between.

Georgia has her hands full, juggling the demands of running the store and raising her spunky teen daughter, Dakota, by herself. Thank goodness for Anita, her mentor and dear friend, and the rest of the members of the knitting club-who are just as varied as the skeins of yarn in the shop's bins. There's Peri, a prelaw student turned handbag designer; Darwin, a somewhat aloof feminist grad student; and Lucie, a petite, quiet woman who's harboring some secrets of her own.

However, unexpected changes soon throw these women's lives into disarray, and the shop's comfortable world gets shaken up like a snow globe. James, Georgia's ex, decides that he wants to play a larger role in Dakota's life-and possibly Georgia's as well. Cat, a former friend from high school, returns to New York as a rich Park Avenue wife and uneasily renews her old bond with Georgia. Meanwhile, Anita must confront her growing (and reciprocated) feelings for Marty, the kind neighborhood deli owner. And when the unthinkable happens, they realize what they've created: not just a knitting club, but a sisterhood.



My Review:

At the time I read this book, I rated it 3 stars. I think since that time, I’ve grown more fond of the book. It was not a quick read for me, but it did have a great story to tell. The book is described as being a chick lit, but I wouldn’t quite call it that because it is not fluffy at all. It is more women’s fiction to me because it is not quite so light.

I loved the fact that it took place in the knitting shop, with women in all stages of life, experiencing their own troubles and sorrows. However, they come together and enjoy the friendship they have among one another.

My favorite character was Anita. Her warmth and wisdom is what any character or real person needs. I can also now relate to Georgia with her teenage daughter. In the end you see that Georgia does fine as any mother of a teenager does. It’s just hard while going through the trials.

I guess the difficult part of the book was trying to remember who was who and what their background story was. Once, I was able to get this into my head, I could read and enjoy very much their stories. And yes, maybe the book did have to grow on me. I still have yet to read the sequel.


2 comments :

  1. I am truly astonished at the amount of effort you put into this article. The passion you show through this article is very strong and
    I agree with your views.
    Visit Here My Site For More Info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books in settings like this, and I think as we get older we appreciate the little things theses books bring to life regarding relationships, town dynamics etc. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete