Wednesday, November 14, 2012

When We Collide by A.L. Jackson Review and Interview





Title: When We Collide
Author: A.L. Jackson
Genre: Romance
Publish Date: November 2, 2012
Amazon | GoodReads

About the Book:
William has spent six years running from his past and the last eight months trying to rid his mind of the dreams that increasingly haunt his nights. Trapped in a world of false ambitions and feigned affections, William knows he’s reached a breaking point and something’s going to give.

Maggie had lived her entire life without hope until one man showed her what it meant to be loved. He’d been her light in a lifetime of darkness. Six years ago, that darkness stole him away. Without him, she’s surrendered herself to an existence she doesn’t know how to escape.

When the family William left behind is struck by tragedy, he is called back to the one place he’s sworn to never return to again.

In a moment that will change his life forever, William comes face to face with the girl who, with one look, captured his heart. He is unable to ignore the buried desires and the hope for the future they’d once believed they’d have.

Now William is ready to fight to take back what had been stolen from him six years before.
But he never imagined what that fight might cost him.


My Review:
I was so excited to review this book. I have absolutely fallen in love with the author’s books and this one did not disappoint either. Amazing!

Again A.L. Jackson is able to weave such a story full of emotion that I found my stomach in knots. You’re wanting for everyone in the story and not sure what’s going to happen next, but in a way you do because she writes past and present alternating. Definitely a page turner as you want to find out what happened in the past that caused this in the present. I loved the idea of the dreams and how they had a purpose in the story.

My favorite character had to be Grace who was the sister-in-law to William. She obviously knew everything or thought she did, but played a great role between Maggie and William. Her love story with her husband, William’s brother is also a great story the developed underneath the main story.

I would recommend this book and all of her other books to contemporary fiction readers. While it is a love story, it is so much more!

Links to other reviews:
Pulled by A.L. Jackson
Take This Regret by A.L. Jackson



Author Bio
A.L. Jackson first found a love for writing during her days as a young mother and college student.  She filled the journals she carried with short stories and poems used as an emotional outlet for the difficulties and joys she found in day-to-day life.
 

Years later, she shared a short story she’d been working on with her two closest friends and, with their encouragement, this story became her first full length novel. A.L. now spends her days writing in Southern Arizona where she lives with her husband and three beautiful children. Her favorite pastime is spending time with the ones she loves.


 

Now we get to know A.L. Jackson a little bit better. Thanks for taking some time to answer a few questions for us.

Date: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Jackson: Hey everyone! I’m A.L. Jackson, author of Pulled, Take This Regret, and When We Collide. I’m over here in Southern Arizona where I spend my days writing.

Date: What do you do when you are not writing?

Jackson: Whenever I’m not writing, I’m usually working with the authors of the small publishing house I co-own. In my free time, you’ll almost always see me with my family or hanging out with a couple of my closest friends.

Date: When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

Jackson: I began writing in college, though at that time my writing looked a lot more like poetry than the novels I write now. Once I was married and life got busy with work and raising a family, writing became something that I didn’t really do anymore. That was until a story began to come to life in my head. It was then I finally sat down and started writing again. That novel, Pulled, was completed about four years ago.

Date: How did you choose the genre you write in?

Jackson: I’m definitely a romance girl. When I read, it’s romance, and I really couldn’t imagine writing anything else.

Date: Where do you get your ideas?

Jackson: Mostly they just come to me. I’ll see vague pictures of the characters and their circumstances in my head, and then from there I try to get those ideas down on paper.

Date: Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?

Jackson: The first romance I ever read was Gone with the Wind, and I’d have to credit it for my love of the genre and my love for reading itself.

Date: How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

Jackson: I believe the best way to get the word out about any book is through readers. I think authors, especially romance authors, are nothing without bloggers and readers. Readers are the key, because our books are spread through their word of mouth. I’m so thankful for people who have recommended my books to other readers. Plus when we focus on our readers, we get to interact and find out what our readers like, don’t like, or are looking for when they read.

Date: Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

Jackson: So far I haven’t based a plot off any real life experiences, but I do tend to draw my emotions and reactions from different events in my life.

Date: What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

Jackson: For When We Collide, it was definitely the epilogue. It was a tough book to write, and it was freeing to finally get to that point in their lives.

Date: How did you come up with the title?

Jackson: I’d written a line that said something about the characters colliding, and it just hit me. When We Collide was it!

Date: I thoroughly enjoy your covers. Why did you choose the style you have?

Jackson: I really wanted something beautiful that would give away nothing about the book, but would allow the reader a glimpse into what the main character is feeling. I absolutely love When We Collide’s because I felt it captured Maggie so perfectly.

Date: What project are you working on now?

Jackson: Right now I’m working on a prequel to Take This Regret, which will just be a short novella about the period of time when Christian and Elizabeth first meet at Columbia. It’s a little bit more on the light side of what I normally write, but it’s been really fun delving into these two as young adults.

Date: Will you have a new book coming out soon?

Jackson: I hope to have my fourth full-length novel out by summer 2013.

Date: Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?

Jackson: So far the only solid plans I have for revisiting characters is the Take This Regret prequel, although I haven’t ruled anything out for any of the books. The theme I really love is reconciliation. I don’t think there’s anything sweeter than a love that should have been being given a second chance.

Date: What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Jackson: Hmm. . .well that is difficult to answer honestly. I’m totally okay with the knowledge that not everyone will love my books and I think readers should always be allowed that voice. What’s hard is when they’re cruel about it. I once had someone who said she hated me for writing one of my books, and not in a joking sense. A personal attack like that is really hard to stomach, and I sometimes wonder if people realize there’s a person standing behind words like that. So yeah, I’d have to say that was probably the toughest criticism I ever received.

The best compliment? Gosh, I’ve received so many and I treasure all of them. I’d have to say it was when I watched a video of a reader talking to another reader after she’d just read When We Collide. It had touched her in a deep way, and her words meant more to me than she could ever know.

Date: Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

Jackson: Well, this may be the ultimate cliché, but it would have to be keep going. Being an author can be incredibly difficult, but also incredibly rewarding. If you love it, you have to make the decision that you’re never going to quit even on the days when it feels like that’s the only thing you want to do.

Date: Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Jackson: Just THANK YOU! I love you all. I can’t tell you how amazing it is to start my mornings with messages from you.

Thanks for taking some time so we get to know the person behind the book. I cannot wait for your next book!!!

2 comments :

  1. I LOVE A L Jackson's writing! Excellent interview...I get to review this book later this month! Thanks so much for posting!
    Beth @ bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete