Friday, December 28, 2012

Book Review: Body Double by Tess Gerritsen


Title: Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles #4)
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Genre: Mystery
Publish Date: July 2005
Personal Rating: 4 stars

About the Book:
Dr. Maura Isles makes her living dealing with death. As a pathologist in a major metropolitan city, she has seen more than her share of corpses every day–many of them victims of violent murder. But never before has her blood run cold, and never has the grim expression “dead ringer” rung so terrifyingly true. Because never before has the lifeless body on the medical examiner’s table been her own.

Yet there can be no denying the mind-reeling evidence before her shocked eyes and those of her colleagues, including Detective Jane Rizzoli: the woman found shot to death outside Maura’s home is the mirror image of Maura, down to the most intimate physical nuances. Even more chilling is the discovery that they share the same birth date and blood type. For the stunned Maura, an only child, there can be just one explanation. And when a DNA test confirms that Maura’s mysterious doppelgänger is in fact her twin sister, an already bizarre murder investigation becomes a disturbing and dangerous excursion into a past full of dark secrets.

Searching for answers, Maura is drawn to a seaside town in Maine where other horrifying surprises await. But perhaps more frightening, an unknown murderer is at large on a cross-country killing spree. To stop the massacre and uncover the twisted truth about her own roots, Maura must probe her first living subject: the mother that she never knew . . . an icy and cunning woman who could be responsible for giving Maura life–and who just may have a plan to take it away.

My Review:
Alright, so book four in the series was definitely a clincher. Tess you have me hooked on the series with this book. I very much enjoyed this book. As many readers have found, The Apprentice (book two) was kind of a let down and had many wondering if they should continue with the series. I read The Sinner (book three) which was okay, much better than The Apprentice, but did give me hope for the series. I am glad I picked up Body Double (book four) as this book was awesome.

There was a lot going on in this book which made it quite a page turner. So many avenues, but leading down the same road. I just had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen. While I was not a fan of Dr. Isles in previous books, I found her a little more personal. Of course, with the crime hitting quite close to her home, a personal side of her was shown. This made her more likeable and real to me.

Detective Rizzoli and expecting and very near her due date. There are a lot of hilarious moments as she interacts with those on the cases and in the bar after work. Definitely added humor to the book, but also added a little more suspense to the actual crime. The elements of Isles and Rizzoli as a duo is really starting to come together and with the side stories and personal lives of both of them growing, this series is really starting to take off.

I like this series and will definitely continue. I almost quickly grabbed up the next book in the series which I don’t normally do (as I get bored with series reading them straight through) but had other books I needed to get to first. I will definitely grab it at the next chance and I suspect the series will get better with each book.

I recommend this book to readers of Patricia Cornwell and mysteries in general.

Links:

2 comments :

  1. I loved #1, hated #2 but will push forward and read #3 next year. I have heard this one is good so I will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wasn't impressed with #2, but glad I read #3 and #4. I'm hoping to get a couple more in the series read next year as well. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete