Thursday, January 31, 2013

Author Interview @AnnieRachelCole

Today on the blog I have Annie Rachel Cole, Indie Author and author of The Children of Atlantis series.


 Date: Thanks for letting us get to know the author Annie Rachel Cole a little more. It’s always great to go behind the scenes of the amazing books being written out there. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Annie:  Thank you for having me to stop by. It’s great to be here.
You would start with the hardest question. LOL! I never really know what to say about myself, but here goes. When I’m not at my day job teaching or taking care of the family and home, I can be found either in front of my computer or with a pen and notebook. I’m either writing or outlining or jotting down notes for another idea. Ideas for stories have never been a problem for me. I live in Texas with my husband and son. I’ve got to sweet and loveable but very spoilt cats, and of course, they think they run the house. I tend to drink too much coffee, and I’ll drink it at any time of the day.

Date: I just love your website. I noticed your post from January 4th In that post you indicated you moved your writing location to the dining room so you could keep an eye on your cooking. Do you have a permanent writing location, or do you write where it’s fun, convenient, or to help you multi-task? What do your writing tools consist of? Is it a chore to move the writing “desk”?

Annie: I actually have an office, but it’s kind of turned into a “catch all” room and has to be cleaned out and organized (a goal for this year). I also have a desk in my bedroom where I do most of my writing, but I also move around the house—dining table or living room. I’ve even gone outside. Basically, I move if needed or to fit my mood. It’s not a chore to move. I just pick up the laptop, my outline, pen, mouse and phone, which are also my writing tools. Sometimes I just use a pen and notebook to write.

Date: You also mentioned a day job? What do you do for work and do you hope/think in the near future you will be able to be a full-time writer? What else takes you away from your writing?

Annie: I’m a junior high school teacher at a local district. I want to get to a point in my writing career where I’m doing it full time. When not writing or teaching, I’m busy with home and family. I also play Texas Hold’em in a local league. I always take a notepad with me so I can write when the opportunity presents itself.

Date: I also loved the music playlist. How do you create a fun playlist? And how does the music help with the writing?

Annie: I’m constantly adding music to my phone and my son is always recommending new artists and songs to me. As for creating the playlist, I skim through my songs, picking ones that fit the characters or the feel of the book. Music is a way of drowning out unwanted noises and creating the mood for the scene I’m writing.

Date: I still haven’t got into the zombie thing yet. What book or move inspired your zombie writing?

Annie:  I haven’t read any zombie books, though I’ve got Rot and Ruin and Hollowland in my To Be Read pile. As for movies, I’ve seen a couple of the Resident Evil movies, but that was a year or two ago. I’ve been told there are several other zombie movies I need to see. I just haven’t had the time to go watch them, and I don’t want to watch them while I’m in the middle of my zombie book. 

What inspired my zombie book was actually several zombie nightmares I had. The dreams stayed with me, so I figured I might as well play with the idea and see where it took me. The final resulting idea was a middle grade book about an eighth grade boy who wants to be popular, so he decides to attempt training a zombie which causes him a lot of problems.

Date: What is your all-time favorite book from childhood? From adulthood?

Annie:  My favorite book from childhood was Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. My favorite book now is actually a series of books—The Harry Potter books. I’ve lost count as to how many times I’ve read them.

Date: Tell us about your Children of Atlantis series.

Annie:  The Children of Atlantis series is about all the gods, goddesses, and monsters that are the results of scientific experiments conducted at the alien research outpost known as Atlantis. Raven Weir is the focal character because she is the destined Guardian of Atlantis—the one who stands between this world and anyone who wants to use Atlantis to take over the world. I’ve taken what you know about Greek mythology and gave it a new twist. Who you think are the bad guys are not always the bad guys and vice versa.

Date: Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely imagination?

Annie:  There isn’t any one event based on actual events. But I did tap into some of the emotions based on similar events. My mom was killed in a car wreck years ago, so in the scene where Raven realizes the woman she’s called mom is really gone, I tapped into the feelings surrounding my realization that my mom was really gone.

Date: What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

Annie: I enjoyed writing Raven’s dialogue, especially when she’s being a bit sarcastic toward the teacher, Meritus Myers.

Date: How did you come up with the title?

Annie:  While writing the rough draft, I called the story Medusa’s Daughter, but it just didn’t feel right. I finally picked Guardian of Atlantis because Raven Weir is the Guardian of Atlantis. The title for Wrath of Hades was chosen because Hades is angry and determined to ruin Raven’s life so that he can regain her soul and take control of Atlantis.

Date: Tell us about the second book in the series.

AnnieWrath of Hades, the second book, begins about four weeks after the first book ends. Raven’s struggling with the consequences of her actions from the first book and her attraction to Ethan. She’s also having problems controlling her powers, if she can even get them to work. But her biggest problem is Hades—her Uncle Hades—is doing everything he can to destroy Raven’s life because he wants to take back her soul and gain access to Atlantis.

Date: How many books are you planning for the series? 

Annie:  I honestly am not sure exactly how many books will be in the series. As I wrote Wrath of Hades, I came up with ideas for the next two books. I’m currently working on outlines. The third book will be out this summer.

Date: Thanks for your time. 

 
Author Bio:
I live in Texas with my husband, son, and two cats who think they run the place. I read, write, play Texas Hold’em poker (I'm actually part of a local league), and occasionally I compete in BBQ competitions with my husband. Our team name is Outcast Cookers. I also teach in a public school.
My likes include: a wide variety of music (see my playlist for book 2 on my blog), Star Trek (My son got me a signed picture of Patrick Stewart which sits on my desk.), Star Wars, Grimm (tv series), winter (though we don’t have snow), the holiday season, coffee, hot tea (with cream and sweetener), pizza (no anchovies though), puzzles, Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury,  and JK Rowling.

Places to buy book
Social sites
Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/annierachelcole/

No comments :

Post a Comment