Monday, January 28, 2013

Cozy Monday Book Review

 Title: Cinnamon Roll Murder (Hannah Swensen #15)
Author: Joanne Fluke
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publish Date: March 1, 2012
Personal Rating: 4 Stars

About the Book:
Spring has sprung in Lake Eden, Minnesota, and the mud season is turning Hannah Swenson's life upside down. But Hannah finds herself knee-deep in an even bigger mess when murder makes an unexpected visit to town...

April is a busy time for Hannah Swenson and her bakery; there's just something about the warm weather that makes folks in Lake Eden crave something sweet When Hannah hears that the Cinnamon Roll Six jazz band will be playing at the town's Weekend Jazz Festival, she's more than happy to bake up a generous supply of their namesake confections to welcome the band to town.

Before the festival even begins, tragedy strikes when the Cinnamon Roll Six's tour bus overturns on its way into town. Among those injured is Buddy Neiman, the band's beloved keyboard player. At first Buddy's injuries appear minor, until his condition suddenly takes a turn for the worse--as in dead. Hannah's no doctor, but she suspects that the surgical scissors someone plunged into Buddy's chest may have something to do with it.

Once the investigation into Buddy's death begins, a slew of suspicious facts come to light. It turns out that Buddy Neiman isn't the victim's real name. In fact, no one is really sure who he is, or what secrets may be lurking in his past. Hannah also has her eye on a few local suspects. There's Doctor Bev, who seems to know more about the victim than she's willing to admit. And Devon Murphy, the aspiring young keyboard player who wanted a spot in the band so much, he just might have killed for it. Truth be told, Hannah isn't sure just how she'll unravel the mystery, but one thing's for sure: there's nothing sweeter than bringing a killer to justice.
My Review:
I forgot I had this book on my Kindle. I purchased it shortly after its release last year and put it aside to read it soon, but wow can’t believe I forgot it was there that long.

This is a definitely must read, must buy cozy series of mine. These are always quick reads for me. I really like amateur sleuth Hannah Swensen and her cookie recipes. This story puts her right at the crime scene after it happens which is not normally a situation for her. I liked this fresh new approach to the crime. Her crime solving tactics are always fun and putting herself in Claire’s dress shop was new.

There is also new development in Hannah’s relationships with Mike and Norman. I can’t wait for the next book to be released to see where this will go now. I enjoy a cozy mystery series when it has a great side story that keeps you wanting to read the next book.

Definitely a must read series for all cozy mystery readers. They do not have to be read in order, unless you want to follow the personal story of Hannah and her friends and family.

Links:

2 comments :

  1. Oh, I used to really like this series! I didn't get as far into the series as you - I think I got to book five, maybe even seven, before I felt they began to lose steam (though I'm impatient and don't tend to stick to long series), but I'm glad you're enjoying it so much even at book fifteen! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..i laughed at your first paragraph..do you know how many books are on my nook *shivers* This sounds delightful and I have been thinking about doing a whole month of cozy mysteries and such since I love them and haven't read nearly enough lately.

    ReplyDelete