Friday, January 18, 2013

Indie Author Book Review: Play Him Again by Jeffrey Stone

Title: Play Him Again (A Matt Hudson novel)
Author: Jeffrey Stone
Genre: Thriller
Publish Date: March 2012
Personal Rating: 3.5 Stars

About the Book:
It’s the Roaring Twenties but silence remains golden for Hollywood. Sound is scorned by movie moguls. It’s too expensive. Only two studios have sound equipment. Only one picture has contained limited spoken dialogue.

Matt Hudson, a rumrunner and the preferred bootlegger of the movie industry, wants to produce a talking picture. Hud’s gut tells him a talkie would rake in the dough at the box office but neither sound studio will lease him their facilities.

Hud’s oldest friend, con man Danny Kincaid, uses the talkie gold mine angle to con a transplanted Chicago gangster into buying a bogus sound device. But when the gangster gets wise, Danny ends up dead.

Now Hud has a score to settle and nothing can stop him from finding Danny’s killer. After Hud unravels a web of deception, blackmail, and murder that leads to a studio controlled by the gangster, he sets up another con to play the gangster again. A con that will either avenge Danny or get Hud killed.
My Review:
I was provided a copy of this book by the author for my honest review. When I received the request, I read and thought the synopsis for a while before accepting the request. I’m glad I chose the book. I think the cover is fitting for the story, as well as the title.

A lot is going on in this book. It’s not a quick read, but it is a page turner. Absorb all of the information you can when you read about the bootlegging and rumrunning, and the silent and talking pictures. Do not make a determination about liking or disliking the book until you are at least halfway through the book. As soon as the connections begin coming together, the book takes off.

My favorite character was not the main character, but his girlfriend Sylvia. I think partly because of the way Hud treated her and what he kept secret from her. However, when she found out about the certain things he was hiding, she was spit fire back at him. I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the background information on the rumrunning and progression into talking pictures. Some big names in there that made me wonder how the actual talking picture came to be. That’s what I like about fiction. An introduction to non-fiction, that will cause me to research and learn more about.

I recommend this book to readers of thrillers and mysteries. It is not a light or fluffy read and will require some thought and patience, but it is definitely worth your time. 

Links:

1 comment :

  1. The background information sounds fascinating and despite the slow pace I am glad it kept you engaged. Delightful review!

    ReplyDelete