Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Author Interview with Jessica O'Gorek

Today I have Jessica O’Gorek on the blog with a great interview. Jessica is the author of the Gemini Rising series. Hi Jessica, thanks for taking some time to let us get to know you better.

What is your earliest memory?

My earliest significant memory is playing outside with my Shera dolls and pretending they were fairies. I still remember Glimmer, Frosta and the bee girl. I would make them hammocks out of rags and tie them into bushes where they could rest and talk. Then there were times when I was the fairy queen, they were my loyal subjects and I would dress up in gauzy sheer curtains and run around in a bamboo, or climb to the tippy top of really tall pine trees. (My mom loved it when I did that.)

What a wonderful influence to have a parent as a writer and published author. Do you think this gave you any advantage in your writing career?

Absolutely. I think I inherited a gene from my dad that makes me create things constantly. Whether it’s writing, doing book cover art, drawing, I have to be doing something inspiring for my soul, or the right side of my brain, all the time.

Did you want to do anything else but write? Do you have a day job?

The only thing I like as much as writing is art and I love creating my own character images and cover art. I am in hotel sales.

As a parent yourself, how do you influence/encourage your daughter and her writing? Would this be the same advice to any young woman or man wanting to become an author?

Morgan doesn’t need a lot of encouragement, she has quite a will of her own but I guess the best way is I actually go to her for plot advice, I support her habitual reading habit by buying book after book and most importantly, I read everything she wants me to, no matter how tired I am or how much I feel like doing something else. And of course I never criticize, I only suggest. My advice to her and to everyone else is to never give up your dream and keep that fire in your belly burning.

Is anything in your book based on real life experience or purely all imagination?

My upbringing taught me great respect for the earth and as a kid I always held a great contempt for what my ancestors did to the Indians and how we developed America. I remember being so angry in college when I discovered what horrible people all of our founding fathers really were. Why didn’t they teach me the truth in high school? So, yes, I would say my beliefs of how we treat the environment and how it might get even with us one day comes across loud and clear in my books.

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

It would have to be the part where Violette finally realizes her crush, Slate, is actually possessed by Onyx, the lead recruit of the Gemini and that he has been impersonating him to get closer to her for days. It’s my favorite part because her reaction shocks Onyx. I love to write parts about astounding female characters dumbfounding their male counterparts.

How did you come up with the title?

I had to think of a name for my monsters first and then Gemini Rising just sounded cool.

Tell us about your characters. Who is your favorite and why? How were your characters developed?

The two main characters are Onyx and Violette. Onyx is my favorite because he is simply unstoppable. Nothing can hurt him; he is like a superhero of epic proportions. But, he is still susceptible to his own feelings and remorse, and yes, falling in love. Violette is a 17-year-old girl and although I love her, it’s not until the end of the third book that she really comes into her own and starts getting tough. Slate is a third wheel, adorable, romantic, but he is a human and pales in comparison with Onyx.

How many books will complete the series?

I am on the fourth and I honestly don’t know- I’ll aim for five total.

A few fun questions to get to know the author better:
What is your greatest achievement?

 Learning to love myself and realizing life is too short to do anything but.

Who is the greatest love of your life?
 My husband, Sam. (Hubs for short)

How do you relax?
I run.

What is your favorite smell?
Lilac.

Who is your favorite author and why?
Stephanie Meyer- she turned me onto the whole YA genre and she introduced me to Edward Cullen, the fictional love of my life.

Some great insight into the author and her books. Check out below for links and book blurbs.
Show the author some love by following her on Twitter and/or Facebook.




Mother Earth, wounded by the human race and its disregard for her resources, will recruit human souls to serve Her and turn against humanity. A rising force festers; Gemini, a clan of paranormal beings will systematically possess and destroy towns, cities, and states. Amidst the chaos, a forbidden relationship between Onyx, a lead Gemini, and Violette, a human, begins. They will both find themselves in the middle of a revolutionary war that will either save, or destroy our world.



Gemini Rising
Author Blog
Twitter @GeminiRising1
Facebook

1 comment :

  1. Great post. I really learned a lot about the author.

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete