Thursday, April 18, 2013

Guest Post by Inger Wolf

We are lucky to have Inger Wolf writing for us on the blog today. She has a great post about how to scare a crime writer. Read and enjoy and don't forget to check out her website!!

How to Scare a Crime Writer

Every time my aunt has read one of my books, she always has to check if the door is locked a couple of extra times. Another reader recently wrote that Evil Water had gotten her so nervous that she constantly had to look out the window to be assured nobody was hiding in the shadows. And a particular reviewer wrote that Evil Water was the most evil book of the season.

But how about me? People often ask me if I don't get scared by all the gruesome things I write. All the killings, the creepy parts and being inside a killer's mind. Well, usually I don't, but the other day I re-read a passage in Evil Water and there was a particular scene about drowning people which made me think "Oh my god, did you really write that? It's horrible." But generally speaking, it takes a lot to get my pulse up. But then what does?


The truth is that I get scared by a lot of things, but mostly it's the documentaries and all the other stuff which happened for real. Recently, I saw the authentic, American movie 127 Hours about a young man who was trapped in Grand Canyon – his arm was stuck between a rock and a huge stone. He was there for 127 hours. Now, I don't want to give too many spoilers here, but one part in the movie really made the sweat running, and I actually had to leave the room for a while. Afterwards, I felt sick. Because this had really happened. That can scare me.

And the more I think about it, the bigger a chicken I am. The other night I went for a walk along the beach with my dog. Then it got dark, and I started thinking that even though there were bars and hotels nearby, nobody would be able to hear me scream. There were other people walking around in the dark as well. And who were they? I heard that somebody was once raped there, and my little dog, Harry, is not much of a watchdog. So I kept looking back over my shoulder all the way home.

And there is more. I'm scared of ants, driving on the highway if it's too busy and making public appearances – and worst of all creepy things, parasites. They can really freak me out. This is probably the reason why I chose leeches as a 'murder weapon' in Evil Water. The victims are sedated and put into a bathtub with hundreds of leeches under a wooden plank. I could seriously not come up with a more horrible way to die. I was not scared while I wrote it, but I can tell you one thing – if you want to hear me scream, just bring along some leeches if you ever meet me.

GUEST POST AUTHOR INGER WOLF



Inger Wolf was born in Herning in Denmark in 1971, but spent the first ten years of her childhood in the city of Århus close to the forests and the sea. This beautiful place was later to be the fictitious  setting for several murder cases in her novels. Inger’s parents divorced when she was nine years old, and she moved with her father, a musician, to a small village in the countryside where she spent the next 18 years.
Inger started writing when she was around ten years old. When she was 15, she wrote her first book – a novel about a rock band. The book was never published, and more unsuccessful attempts followed before she finally had her first novel Sidespring (On the Side) – a book about divorce and motherhood – published in 2000 by Rosinante. In the meantime she studied English at a business school, and was now supporting herself as a freelance translator.
In 2001 Inger moved back to Århus and her old neighborhood – and the forests and the sea. Long walks in the surrounding nature became the inspiration for her first crime novel Sort Sensommer (Black Indian Summer) which was published by Modtryk in 2006. Sort Sensommer won the 2006 Danish Crime Academy Award as ‘Most Exciting Crime Novel Debut’, and the rights for the book were sold to Norway, Holland, Germany, Sweden and Spain. Since then four more books about Inspector Daniel Trokic and his team have been published – Frost og Aske (Frosh and Ashes) in 2008, Sangfuglen (Song Bird) in 2009, Hvepsereden (Wasp’s Nest) in 2011, and Ondt Vand (Evil Water) in 2012. A sixth book in the series, Under en sort himmel (Under a Black Sky) will be published March 2013.

Today, Inger lives with her Dutch boyfriend Toine and her 17 year-old daughter Cecilie in a town house in Spain. The household also includes two cats and two dogs.

No comments :

Post a Comment