Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Glimpse into the books of Tiffinie Helmer

I write Edgy Romances set in Alaska with men and women who live and work on the wild side of life. Having a setting like Alaska opens my stories up for anything. And I mean anything.  Alaska is a character in itself. You never know what she's going to throw your way.

HOOKED (Book II in the Romance on the Edge Novels) was just released on May 13th. I'm very excited about this book as it deals with romance, murder, and commercial fishing on the wild Bristol Bay fishing grounds. They call the summer sockeye season in Bristol Bay "combat fishing." I  don't think there is another book out there like HOOKED. If you are a Deadliest Catch fan, this is your story.


During the summers, I commercial fish on the Bering Sea, so I know my subject well. Raised in Alaska, I now spend most of my year "Outside" as I'm married to one of those talented computer geeks. Not a lot of call for computers and techie stuff in Alaska. Most people go there to get away from computers, cell phones, and the like. I'm one of them, and would lose my sanity if it weren't for my Alaskan summers.
While the books are part of a series, they do stand alone. I pick up characters in previous books and write their story.  But if you read them in order, they'll be richer since you already know a bit about the characters before I turn their life upside down.

HOOKED
Blurb:
She baited a cop and hooked a killer.
She crosses the line…
Sonya Savonski has something to prove as the only female drift boat captain fishing the deadly depths of the Bering Sea. She stirs the waters, luring a murderer to the surface, and snags the unwanted attention of an Alaska State Trooper.
He tows the line…
"Fish cops" don't mix with fishermen, but if Alaska State Trooper Garrett Hunt can reel Sonya in–before a killer uses her for bait—she could be the catch of his life.

Links

EDGE
(Book I in the Romance on the Edge Novels)
I love this book.  The inspiration for this story was sparked by the recovery of Elizabeth Smart. We were living in Utah when she was kidnapped. My own children were greatly affected by her story, as was the world.  My youngest daughter couldn't sleep in her own bed for fear that someone would break in and kidnap her while she slept.  When Elizabeth was recovered, and the press swarmed all over her, I remember watching the coverage—with tears in my eyes—wondering what she would be like in twenty years.  And the premise for EDGE was born. 

My hero is Cache Calder, the photojournalist who captured a picture of my heroine, Amelia Bennett, when she was recovered.  That picture went viral and jumpstarted his career.  Now we are twenty years later and he is in a completely different place.  A very dark and wounded place.

What fascinates me about these two characters is how their lives were forever changed and connected by one incident. A photograph.

Blurb:
Living on the Edge can be murder.
He’s lost his edge…

Photojournalist Cache Calder lives to chase a great story. He's just returned from the Middle East after surviving a suicide bombing that left him injured and grief-stricken. The last thing he wants is to travel to the wilds of Alaska on a “Where Is She Now” Assignment. But when his editor informs him that his subject is former kidnapping victim, Amelia Bennett who jumpstarted his career twenty years earlier, he packs his bags.

She lives on the Edge…

Mel Bennett’s carefully maintained control unravels the moment she meets Cache Calder. Attraction flares for the man who seems to really “know” her. No one at the Edge of Reason Lodge is aware she was the young teenager who’d survived one of the most publicized kidnappings in recent history, and she wants it to stay that way. But she starts to question her heart and her sanity when unexplained incidents begin to happen and a deadly threat returns to finish what he’d started so long ago.

Links



Tiffinie Helmer is an award-winning author who is always up for a gripping adventure. Raised in Alaska, she was dragged "Outside" by her husband, but escapes the lower forty-eight to spend her summers commercial fishing on the Bering Sea.
A wife and mother of four, Tiffinie divides her time between enjoying her family, throwing her acclaimed pottery, and writing of flawed characters in unique and severe situations.
Website: http://www.tiffiniehelmer.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tiffiniehelmerauthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TiffinieHelmer

No comments :

Post a Comment