Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Author Interview with Nicky Peacock

Today on the blog I have Nicky Peacock who is sharing a few insights into her book and her personally as an author. Thanks Nicky for joining us today.

Can you tell us about your upcoming or just released book?
 Bad Blood is a YA vampires VS zombies horror. It’s set in the UK and sees feuding vampires setting aside their differences (although not for long) in an attempt to save human survivors from a massive zombie outbreak.

What led you to write this book?
 I’m a book addict and love reading both vampire and zombie books. I really liked the idea of seeing them put together, but when I looked around, I didn’t find one that I wanted to read – so I decided to write it myself.

Why did you choose this specific title and cover?
 The title refers to both the zombie blood being un-edible for vampires and also the revenge-fuelled feud that the main character, Britannia has with her nemesis, Nicholas. The cover was designed by Fiona Jayde, who designs fabulous front covers for my publishers Noble & Young. It brings together Britannia, England and the zombies all in one colorful cover.

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
 “Stop throwing emotional spanners in my works! Leave me alone and let me get on with saving my country from the shuffling flesh-munching undead!”

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
 Yes. I’ve already started on the next book in the Bad Blood series. I’ve planned it out as a trilogy – although I hope that each book will still be able to stand as individual stories, each with a separate enemy to overcome.

What books have influenced your writing?
 Probably every book I’ve ever read. I love reading and I think to be a great writer, you must be a great reader. My favorite authors are, but not limited to: Charlaine Harris, Keri Arthur, Rachel Vincent, Cassandra Clare, Karen Marie Moning, Amanda Hocking, Rachel Caine, Richard Laymon, Graham Masterton, Stephanie Meyers and soooo many more.

What book would you like to read again?
 I’d love to read the whole Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris again. I feel like they’re really over-looked compared to the Sookie Stackhouse books and would recommend them to everyone. Supernatural powers, serial killers and forbidden love – what could be better.

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?
 Hmmm, I did really like the Warm Bodies movie; loved Isaac Marion’s book too though, so probably on a par. In my experience the movies rarely capture the greatness of the book that birthed it. I’m curious to see how Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments fairs when it hits movie theatres later this year.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
 I’m currently reading a paperback of First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. I love eBooks and hard copies equally now – something which I thought I’d never say.

Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why?

 I’ve recently made contact with another YA author in my local area, Georgia Twynham who has had great success with her Thirtenth books. I love the concept of her series and it’s so lovely to chat with someone who’s in the same situation of as me.

If you could change ONE thing about your novel, what would it be?  Why?
 I think I’d give more of a part to Tate, although he does play more of a crucial role in the next book – he’s such a lovely character to work with and has a really touching back story.

Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series:
 Okay, so in most zombie books and movies, the survivors rarely figure out what caused the outbreak – they’re far too busy trying to survive. In the series, there will be an explanation as to why it all happened and who was behind the whole thing.

Thanks for your time!! Be sure to check out Nicky's bio and her links. Show this author some love :)

I guess I’ve always been a storyteller, not in a ‘liar liar pants on fire’ kind of way, although I do work in advertising! When I was little, kids would crowd around me in the playground and I’d tell them tales of blood soaked horror filled with vampires, werewolves, ghosts and more. Yes, most would consider me a disturbed child, but my playmates couldn’t help themselves, they’d huddle around me every break time like an ancient tribe feeding off the fear; and that’s how I learned that horror stories hold a certain power, no matter what some might say, everyone is addicted to a good scare, especially if it is somewhat rooted safely in unrealistic beings… or are they unrealistic?
Writing was really a natural progression. Right now I’m obsessed with writing: a YA Urban Fantasy novel, a Paranormal Romance novella series, and several short horror stories! So I’m currently living in a functional fiction coma – and loving it!
I’ve so far been published in 5 countries: USA, UK, Australia, Ireland and Canada and had short stories included in 30 anthologies with over 17 publishers.
I run a local writers’ group called Creative Minds Writing so will be blogging about issues that other writers are facing as well as collective lessons we learn as we go along our writing journey.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for the Interview - hope you all enjoy your date with Bad Blood!

    ReplyDelete