Friday, June 14, 2013

Book Connections: Ivanhoe and Lost Horizon

Welcome to Book Connections. A feature that will be brought to you at least twice a month. This feature will share thoughts and ideas about “connections” made while reading books. How many times when reading a book has it connected you to another book, a movie, a game or anything else? What was the connection you had? Was it a book you had already read? Did you look for information about it further or consider purchasing it? Will you watch the movie or play the game?

To further describe and really introduce my idea, I want to share two connections I had in previous years, so minor details really escape me, but these are the connections that got me thinking about and helped to shape this feature.

One time I actually went and bought a book because of the reference in the book I was reading. The book I bought was Ivanhoe. I don’t recall why its reference in the book was so profound, but when I made a stop at the bookstore shortly after, they had Ivanhoe on the shelf and I quickly made the purchase. It still sits on my TBR shelf.

My next connection to help shape this feature was while reading the book Somewhere Over the Freaking Rainbow by L.L. Muir. Check out the review here.

While reading this indie author’s book Somewhere Over the Freaking Rainbow, she made reference to the book Lost Horizon by James Hilton. Upon further checking Goodreads, I found that it had first been published in 1933. I had never heard of this book prior to this connection. I asked a coworker of mine, who is pretty well read from this time period, if he had heard and/or read this book. He was very quick to remember that he had heard about this book and knew what it was about, but had not read it himself.

The synopsis of the book was not intriguing enough for me to want to put it on my TBR shelf. It was a relevant connection in the book and interesting enough that the author made the connection. Check out the synopsis and other details of the book here.


So join me a couple Fridays a month where I will share connections I found in the books I've been reading. How I felt about it and what actions I took.

 What will you find in your next book?

 

No comments :

Post a Comment