Thursday, June 27, 2013

Book Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Title: Dare You To
Author: Katie McGarry
Genre: Young Adult
Publish Date: May 28, 2013
Personal Rating: 5 Stars


About the Book:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."


"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....


"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....


Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.


But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all...


My Review:
It’s been a little while since I read a young adult book, so when I saw this book on Netgalley and knew of the great reviews book one had received, I made the request. After receiving the book, I quickly found some time to read it. I loved it!! This was a very quick read and an awesome story.


The title of the book is very leading of the plot of the story. I loved that aspect and was entertained by it the entire story. It encompassed not just the beginning and the few characters, but many characters and to the end of the book. I also liked how Beth and Ryan’s first encounter linked in many other parts of the book.


There are many substories going on as well as the main story. I enjoyed all of them and how they entwined with one another. Definitely many emotions going on as I read the length of the book, from laughter, to sadness, to heartbreak, and amazement. This story will definitely make you feel all of these things. I also wanted to just yell at several of the characters and tell them to wake up. Very emotional evoking story, but not emotionally draining.


After finishing this book, I checked out the synopsis of book one, but really wonder if I could enjoy that book as much as this one.


I highly recommend this book to all readers of the young adult genre. And if you’ve read book one, let me know if it is worth the read!!

Links:

 

1 comment :

  1. Loved this book as well as Pushing Limits. You should definitely read it. Good review.
    Follwer! feel free to stop by and check out my blog :)
    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete