Saturday, July 6, 2013

Book Review: Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath

Title: Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery #2)
Author: J.A. Konrath
Genre: Mystery
Publish Date: June 2006
Personal Rating: 4 Stars

About the Book:
Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory--a killer for whom getting caught is only the beginning...

My Review:
I don’t know why I have been so timid in reading this series. I had book #1 on my shelf for several years, haven’t read it, so when this was a free Kindle book I grabbed it. It wasn’t until I had started and a good portion through this that I found I did have book #1 on my Kindle as well.  I was in a slump for reading and not sure what I was in the mood for, but this book definitely hit the spot. With its humor and wit, it had me laughing at every turn. This book was a quick read.

Here are a few quick statement reviews summing up a few ideas I had: 

What a way to say I Love You

Whoa Old People!

Wait a go Mr. Friskers!

Diets can cause a lot of grief.

Great characters and great story not only with just the crime solving, but personal levels as well. I very much enjoyed the humor and found myself laughing quite often. I thought the main character, Jack was very likeable and I identified with her well. I also liked her partner Herb who did at times get on my nerves as he rushed through his decisions. However, in the end I feel like he kind of redeemed himself. Excited to read the next book and find out more of his story.

I would definitely match the level of enjoyment and humor with Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum, but definitely not similar stories. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy a crime mystery book with a high dose of humor.

Links:

 

No comments :

Post a Comment