Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Author Interview Sofie Kelly

As promised on Monday, I have an interview with Author Sofie Kelly. She is the author of five books in the Magical Cats Mysteries. If you missed Monday's post, I reviewed the newest book to be released on October 1, 2013 Final Catcall.

I want to thank Sofie for taking some time out of her busy schedule to let us get to know her better.



Why did you want to become a writer of cozy mysteries? Do you write any other fiction or non-fiction?

I write mysteries because I like to read them. (I was reading Agatha Christie when I was a teenager.)
I also write young adult novels. And I use my poetry in mixed media pieces.

What authors inspired your writing?

Too many to name—Marcia Muller, Margaret Maron, Lynn Viehl, Robert Crais, Kurt Vonnegut, Agatha Christie, Harlan Coben, and Tess Gerritsen are just a few of the writers whose work inspires me.

If you could only choose three cozy mystery authors to read, who would you choose and why?

I don’t think I could choose three. I’d have to find a way to sneak in more authors. Simon Brett’s books about Charles Paris and Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple novels were the first cozy mysteries I ever read and I’m a big fan of both authors. I enjoy Krista Davis’s Diva series--and I’m not just saying that because she a friend.

What was life like before writing?

I was in diapers! Seriously, I’ve been writing stories from the time I learned to write. I really don’t remember life before writing. Before I was a full-time writer I worked in radio, which I loved.

What are your hobbies?

Art, hiking, and at the moment running because my daughter is training for a 5K run and she doesn’t like training alone.

How did the cats Owen and Hercules come to be? Are they a large part of the series?

My editor actually came up with the cats’ “magical” abilities. Their personalities are a combination of the personalities of several different cats that have been in my life. Owen and Hercules are a big part of the series. They’re as much characters in the stories as Kathleen, Maggie or Marcus.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

I’m reading A Witch Before Dying, by Heather Blake on my ereader and Vein of Gold by Julia Cameron in hardcover.

Are there any Authors that have grabbed your interest recently and why?

I just recently read Her Ladyship’s Curse, the first book in Lynn Viehl’s new steampunk series, Disenchanted & Co. It’s set in an alternate world in which America lost the Revolutionary War. I loved the characters and storyline and I was captivated by the world Viehl created.

 Again, Thank Sofie for taking this time. Be sure to check out her website at SofieKelly.com

Sofie Kelly is the New York Times bestselling author of the Magical Cats mysteries. As Sofie Ryan, she also writes the upcoming Second Chance Cat mystery series. In her spare time she likes to prowl around thrift stores and she admits to having a tiny crush on Matt Lauer.




No comments :

Post a Comment