Thursday, September 19, 2013

How to Choose which Bloggers to Follow ~ Bloggiesta Mini Challenge


Autobahn
Photo Credit: Keith Ramsey

Who Do I Follow?

Overall there are just too many reading blogs to follow, but how do I choose which bloggers to follow. I hope I can enlighten those who are struggling with this particularly but also provide a tip or two to those who may not feel this is a struggle. I am basing all of this off my own experience and what has helped me to change and grow.


There are two main ways to follow a blog: 1) Through a reader of your choice, ie. Bloglovin, Feedly; or 2) Via email by subscribing on the blogger’s website. There are also Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, but those are not covered here.


In the beginning, I followed many blogs via the reader. I don’t remember the count, but it was oodles. Obviously following more than I could read daily, I would read as many websites every day as I possibly could. From this process I “learned” what the blogging community was about. I discovered memes, events, and wonderful tips.


After several months of this process, I figured I needed to scale back. I chose my favorite blogs and signed up for email updates. My favorites were those that I enjoyed reading their posts and there had been some influence on my blog development and knowledge.


I still follow several blogs through my reader to discover new ideas and for new inspiration. I also follow blogs that are not just about books, but of other interests and find that these sometimes provide more lightbulb moments.


So here’s my challenge to you:


If you are new to the blogging community (you define new) or need some fresh ideas, begin following several new blogs via your reader. After several months, whittle down your list to your top favorites and sign up for those to hit your email inbox. And if you have not been follow non-book blogs, check out a few.


If you are not new to the blogging community and have been wondering how to organize the blogs you follow, choose those that are you favorites and sign up for those to hit your inbox. Also, go out and find some new blogs to follow in your reader. Make sure to choose some that are not just book related.


Good luck and I hope this helps!!

Happy Bloggiesta Weekend


11 comments :

  1. Good advice! I don't subscribe by email due to so much traffic coming in my inbox. I have recently subscribed to both Feedly (thanks to Patchworkbunny) and Bloglovin'. I use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest so see posts on those forums too. Today, I don't feel well so I am dipping in and out on here and reading more posts than usual when I am sometimes too busy. I select those to read as I scroll down the lists. We all have our ways but it is useful to hear other folks tips too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know there are many ways to follow and it can be a lot. It could be beneficial to have your own blogger email so it doesn't spam your regular email inbox. I have done just this and anything in that email inbox is books and blogger related.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing how other bloggers do things! I don't subscribe to blogs by email but instead prefer to use list view in my feed reader. That way I only see the topic update, and then I decide if I want to read that post or not.

    Tanya Patrice
    <a href='http://girlxoxo.com">Girlxoxo.com</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the feed reader list, but it can get some cumbersome and I lose the important blogs I have come to love. Those are the ones I subscribe by email to my blogger email inbox and this way I make sure I don't miss their updates. Thanks for stopping and sharing!!

      Delete
  3. I love bloglovin because the send me email links so all my blogs are in one easy link

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bloglovin because the send me email links so all my blogs are in one easy link

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Bloglovin and GFC reader. I mainly use GFC reader but keep Bloglovin for when google finally turns that off. Every Bloggiesta I go through my blog list and get rid of the blogs that no longer blog or that don't blog about things that interest me. It takes a while, like you when I was new I followed everyone and just thought they followed me back. Then I learned that A. I needed a better blog if people were going to follow, and B. I was following WAY too many people to keep up with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up switching from BlogLovin to Feedly because I like the mobile use a lot better but I have a few different folders. I have "Active Book Blogs" for those that I interact with more often and love and then "Other Book Blogs" for those I want to keep on my radar but only want to read when I have time.

    Thank you for hosting and I hope you stop by my 50 Bookish Things You Must Do Before You Die challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love feedly :) I also like my wordpress e-mail that aggregates a bunch of the blogs I follow in one e-mail thread. If I can only follow a blog by getting individual e-mails, it has to be one I really like or I'll just pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely need to remember to clean out the reader list. Bloggiesta is a great time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ones I subscribe by email are the ones I want to know what they are posting each day. They are the blogs that have inspired me and I absolutely love! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete