Monday, September 9, 2013

Cozy Monday Book Review ~ The Double Wedding Ring by Clare O'Donohue

Today we're driving to the small town of Archers Rest to visit Someday Quilts. If we have time, we will grab a cup of coffee or tea at Jitters or take a walk in the park near Main Street. We're meeting up with Nell who helps her grandma run Someday Quilts. Oh did I mention, Nell's hot for the Sheriff in town. His name is Jesse. Nell is helping her grandma plan a wedding and helping the quilt group put together a "secret" quilt for grandma's wedding.

After Nell and Jesse find his friend, Roger, murdered in front of Jesse's home, Nell finds herself trying to decide how much she should get involved in this case. Nell is able to mind her P's and Q's most of the time because she is busy helping with Eleanor's wedding plans. Nell is able to find some time to ask questions here and there and bounce ideas off the quilt group.

Title: The Double Wedding Ring
Series: Someday Quilts #5
Author: Clare O'Donohue
Publish Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Plume
Source: eARC from publisher via Netgalley

Links:

Characters: There are several characters in this book. However, having them associated with their store or occupation makes it easy to remember them. I would love to go back and read previous books to get to know them better. I really liked all of the characters. I loved Nell's family. When they all get together, there's a little groveling going on amongst them.

Location and Setting: This is a very quaint town. I love all the places on Main Street. The town is that small that everything is right there. I love the gazebo and park, and with the descriptions I can picture them as if I've been there before. With the time of year and the snow, I think I have totally pictured a town that is one you typically see in a Christmas movie.

Crime: This entire crime sequence was amazing. From the beginning when the body was found, to the end when the resolution came, there were plenty of twists and turns. I thought I knew who it was and then I would turn the page and think oh no it's someone else. Some awesome red herrings placed in this story. Nell was a great sleuth. I liked her attitude and her ability to handle the balance of the crime and everything else she had going on.

Romance: Everyone seems to have a little something going on. This is what I liked best about the book. The romance between couples and new couples popped up everywhere.

A great read! Even though this was book five of the series, I was not lost in this particular story. I do have a huge desire to read the rest of the books before this. I want to know the pre-story to this book.



Author Bio:
Clare O'Donohue was born in Chicago, Illinois, the youngest of four children. My parents are both from Ireland, but they met in London, moved to the US, and settled on Chicago’s South Side, where I was born and raised.

I always knew I wanted to be a writer and in fact wrote my first novel (mini-novel actually. It was 60 pages) when I was 15. It was a mystery. After college I worked as a newspaper reporter and writing teacher before moving to LA and getting my first job in television. That was on the HGTV show, Simply Quilts.

I worked on the show for four seasons, eventually becoming the Supervising Producer, but I’ve written and produced for a lot of other shows as well. In the last twelve years, I’ve worked on shows for The History Channel, truTV, Food Network, A&E, Discovery, TLC, and others. My work has taken me all across the US and abroad and I’ve met a diverse group of people – from CEO’s to prison inmates, Malaysian orphans to famous athletes.

But all along I thought about writing a novel. I still loved mysteries so I finally sat down to write one. And lucky for me, I had the time. There’s a lot of what we in the freelance world like to call downtime, but is more commonly known as unemployment. Since I wasn’t earning any money, I also had motivation to write something that could catch the interest of a publisher.

And, luckily, I did. In 2008 I published The Lover’s Knot, the first in the Someday Quilts series. Now I’ve added A Drunkard’s Path and The Double Cross, and The Devil’s Puzzle. The 5th in that series will be released in September of 2013 and look for two e-stories to be available soon.

With the release of Missing Persons, and now Life Without Parole I’ve launched a new, edgier mystery series; one that gives an inside look at the world of television. It deals with murder, friendship, and love, just like Someday Quilts, but from a very different viewpoint.






No comments :

Post a Comment