Monday, September 30, 2013

Cozy Monday Book Review ~ On the Slam by Honor Hartman

We're headed to Houston Texas today to meet Emma who has just moved to the area. Recently a widow, Emma's best friend Sophie talked her into moving next door in the same home owner's association. We will get to join Emma at Bridge Club night and meet her new neighbors. They are quite an eclectic mix and while they don't seem to be the best of friends, get together regularly to play Bridge. Well at least Emma has had some experience with the game as she plays often with her brother and his partner.    



Title: On the Slam
Series: Bridge Club Mystery #1
Author: Honor Hartman
Publish Date: May 1, 2007
Publisher: Signet
Source: paperback from library

Links:
       
I loved the drama in this book. It was intense, but the way it weaved through the story kept me on my toes. I was hooked and the pages turned quickly.
       
Characters: What a crazy wacky mix of characters in this book. Definitely some odd ducks. I would have to say my favorite was sweet Marylou and who wouldn't love someone who bakes treats all the time. The creepy one to me was Nate. He just gave me the creeps from the first time we meet him. I guess that was the point, but I just never go rid of that. I liked all the other characters and how they fit in the story. Like I said, there was a lot of drama and I think it was from the varying personalities of  all the characters. They definitely made the story.
       
Location and Setting: Since Emma is new to the area, we mainly get to know the neighbors and only venture out to the grocery store. The largest piece to this story is the characters.
       
Crime: Very well constructed. Limiting the area and number of possible suspects, there wasn't a whole lot of avenues to choose. Emma was a great sleuth as she tried to piece everything together. She was a little bit at a disadvantage due to newness to the area and not knowing everyone, but I also think this helped her keep an open mind.


Romance: Hmmm.....

Other reviews:
I couldn't find any other reviews. 


Read a little about Honor Hartman from Cozy Mystery List:
Honor Hartman aka Jimmie Ruth Evans, Dean James & Miranda James




No comments :

Post a Comment