Monday, October 7, 2013

Cozy Monday Book Review ~ Buried Leads by LynDee Walker

Today we're headed to Richmond Virginia to hang out with Nichelle or as her friends call her Nicey. She works for the Telegraph, the local newspaper, covering the cops and courts for all the latest breaking news. Hopefully we don't get too hungry, because Nicey doesn't take the time to stop for lunch or dinner, but she does remember to grab a cup of coffee or at least make one in the breakroom. Also, maybe we'll be lucky and Eunice will whip us up something good to fill our hungry bellies.



Title: Buried Leads
Series: Headlines in High Heels Mystery #2
Author: LynDee Walker
Publish Date: October 15, 2013
Publisher: Henery Press
Source: eARC from publisher via Netgalley

Links:
       
Once I got into this book far enough, I was totally hooked and I couldn't put it down. The crime solving basically wove through the story of Nicey trying to keep her job, but she just knew there was something more. Fighting to keep the regular beats going and also investigate the crime, she finds herself sometimes ahead of the game, but also sometimes behind.
       
Characters: My favorite character besides Nicey was Parker. He was kind and caring, and did his best to help out Nicey anyway he could. Even though he felt he owed her, I still think he would have done anything as her friend.
       
Location and Setting: Nicey does have time to tell us that it's fall time there and the leaves have turned. It's fall here too and soon enough I will need to make a drive through the mountains to see all the same colors that Nicey sees on her drive. Not a really cozy town, but I did like the location.
       
Crime: Wow! Twisty, turny, and intense. I really enjoyed the plot revolving around the crime and its investigation.


Romance: The romance was also another conflicted element in the story. Definitely gave it its edge. Nicey's old boyfriend from Texas has just moved  to Virginia and he's wondering if she still has eyes for him. But then there's Joey. There to protect her and keep her safe, but maybe not looking to be her boyfriend after all. I loved the good boy / bad boy element of both of these characters.


I absolutely loved this book! I do have book one waiting for me on my Kindle. I can't wait to go back and see what happened there. However, I don't think you have to read these books in order. I didn't feel as if I was lost, but I think the connection to the personal story of Nicey would be complete.


Author Bio:


LynDee Walker grew up in the land of stifling heat and amazing food most people call Texas, and wanted to be Lois Lane from the time she could say the words “press conference.” An award-winning journalist, LynDee traded cops and deadlines for burp cloths and onesies when her oldest child was born. Writing the Headlines in High Heels mysteries gives her the best of both worlds.
LynDee is a member of Sisters in Crime and James River Writers. Her debut novel, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, is an amazon new humor #1 bestseller. The second book in the Headlines in High Heels mysteries, BURIED LEADS, will be on sale October 15, 2013.

LynDee adores her family, her readers, and enchiladas. She often works out tricky plot points while walking off the enchiladas. She lives in Richmond, Virginia, where she is working on her next novel.

3 comments :

  1. It's always nice when you don't have to read a series book in order! And a 5 star review? That's awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that about cozy mysteries--most of the time you can just jump into the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second thegeekyblogger. I love when I can pick up any book in a mystery series. When I was a kid, the library wouldn't have every book in a series available, so I would just pick up whichever one was available. I like it when I can continue with this habit.

    ReplyDelete