Monday, October 14, 2013

Cozy Monday Book Review ~ Murder for Choir by Joelle Charbonneau

Today we're stopping at Prospect Glen High School to visit Paige Marshall. She's a new choir coach for their show choir. This is just a moonlighting job while she waits for her manager to hook her up with opera employment. Paige is currently living with her Aunt Millie in Lake Forest, IL. If we have time, we can go meet her aunt and have a spa day as she is a sales woman for Mary Kay. But watch out for her dog poodle. He's name is Killer. And he really seems to be one. He doesn’t like anyone really.

First day on the job, Paige finds a dead body in the auditorium. Not familiar with many people, she finds it necessary to rely on those she doesn’t know and trust her instincts. Oh, and listen to her Aunt Millie’s advice.






Title: Murder for Choir
Series: Glee Club Mystery #1
Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Publish Date: July 2012
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Source: paperback from library

Links:
       
Characters: Okay Devlyn was creepy. I didn't know if I should like him or not. Detective Kaiser was decent and I liked the way he treated Paige even if she didn't always do what he asked. And Larry, he was just a goober. The characters were very well developed and each had their purpose. Even the few students that we got to know, had a distinct place in the story.
       
Location and Setting: The high school setting was new to me. I wondered if I would like it because of all the teenage kids, however, the story didn't revolve around them. I also liked the Glee Club theme that was going on. Makes me wonder what other "places" will be involved in future installments.
       
Crime: Very well crafted. The path from beginning to end was entertaining. The author did a very good job of twisting the story. With a limited number of possibilities, I was guessing until the end.

Romance: I can't wait to read book two to see what happens here. I do have my wishes though!

I really enjoyed this book. I was curious enough to read because of the theme and setting and pleasant surprised with the results.

Links to other book reviews:
 
Author Bio:
Ever since I can remember I loved telling stories. As I grew up, I started performing those stories on the stage. Creating vivid characters and singing wonderfully complex songs were my passion. I graduated from Millikin University with a Bachelors Degree in Vocal Performance and then continued onto DePaul University for my Masters Degree in Opera Performance. From there I went onto perform across the Chicagoland area in a variety of Operas, Operettas and Musicals. I also started teaching acting classes and private voice lessons to pass my passion along to the next generation. 

Not exactly the path you’d expect a writer to take.

I’d never dreamed of writing a novel. But I loved to read. Then one day I had an idea and I started to write. I found my passion for creating characters lived on the page as well as the stage. It is my hope that the characters I’ve created resonate with you and make you smile.

I still teach voice lessons and sing for the occasional professional event. But the rest of my time is spent with my husband and son while dreaming up new and interesting stories. I hope that someday I hear yours.

Author Page
Book Shelf


1 comment :