Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday Thirteen ~ Superstitions

Photo Credit: Lentina_X

Joining in the fun found over at Book Vixen. I have another Thirteen List.

With today being Halloween, I thought it would be fun to look at superstitions.

13 Superstitions I find really interesting

  1. Drop a Fork or Spoon - a Man or Woman will visit (It’s probably just your mom or dad getting after you for messing around.)

  2. If a bird flies into your house a death will occur soon. (But don’t we have bird flu.)

  3. If you step on a crack you’ll break your mother’s back. (I don’t know that I ever believed this, but definitely entertaining to avoid the cracks on your walk home from school.)

  4. When leaves on trees turn up, a storm is coming.

  5. Never ticket a baby’s feet or it will create a stuttering child.

  6. If you borrowed salt from someone, you should return the favor with sugar or bad luck would follow.

  7. If your nose or ears itch, then someone is talking about you. (I know I hear this one all the time.)

  8. When your palm itches, it means you will come into money. (Too bad that’s not true.)

  9. Never say Thank You when someone gives you a plant or it will die. (That’s the reason I’m not a great green thumb. I just need to learn to be ignorant.)

  10. Two deaths in the community will be followed by a third. (I’m sorry, but I do have to say I tend to believe this one.)

  11. If you sweep under someone’s feet, they will never marry. 

  12. If all the food on the table is eaten, then tomorrow will be a clear day. (Maybe that’s why our parents wanted us to finish all of our food and why Dad cleaned everyone’s plate.)

  13. Never begin a task on Friday that you can’t finish that week or expect ill. (Maybe that’s why we get to read in bed sick on Monday all day.)

I found a lot of these on : http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtnties/signs.html

What is one superstition you find interesting?

No comments :

Post a Comment