Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Interview with Author LynDee Walker

If you've visited my blog this past month, one of my 5 star reads was Buried Leads from author LynDee Walker. I also reviewed Front Page Fatality and loved it as well. I've invited Ms. Walker to the blog today so we can get to know the amazing author behind these books.




LynDee: Thanks so much for having me, Dalene! 

Dalene: Who is Lyndee?

LynDee: I’m always running late. I drink way too much coffee.

I’m a “retired” reporter who left journalism to be home with my children, and they make me a little nuts sometimes, but I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for a shot at the Pulitzer.

Dalene: What is a typical day like for you?

The thing I said about being late? It usually starts because I oversleep. So I round the older children out of bed, throw their lunches together while they get dressed, and run them to the bus. When they’re safely on their way to school, I make a cup of coffee (I love my Keurig) and open my computer. Depending on how close I am to deadline, I either write for an hour first and then check email and social media, or the other way around.

Then the little one wakes up and my day really starts to fly. Laundry, errands, playgroups, and all the other mom stuff that keeps my afternoons busy last until the big kids get home, and then it’s homework and dinner and bedtime. And then I occasionally get to sit down with my husband and relax for a few minutes before I pass out.

Y’all notice there’s no mention of time to clean anything in there? I do what I can, but 99 percent of the time, it very definitely looks like three children live here.

And I am thankful for every single mess, and crazy busy day.

Dalene: What books have influenced your writing?

LynDee: Oh, there are so many! From Nancy Drew to Gone With the Wind to Stephen King. I have varied reading tastes, but I really believe that everything I read informs and shapes my writing. And I love books. I am and always will be first and foremost a book nlerd.

Dalene: How did you choose the genre you write in?

LynDee: I think it chose me. I love to read funny mysteries, and Laura Levine and Harley Jane Kozak have long been two of my favorite authors. When Nichelle first popped into my head, she was a reporter trying to figure out a tangled mess of a story. I didn’t really think about genre, because I was just writing it for fun, but when I started thinking about publishing, I figured out it was a mystery.

Dalene: Why did you want to become an author?

LynDee: For most of my life, my dreams of writing revolved around journalism. But juggling kids and reporting is hard, because the job is great fun, but the hours are crazy and the work is demanding. I thought I’d left writing behind when I decided to stay home, but I missed it. I started writing FRONT PAGE FATALITY because I just wanted to write something, and this new dream of being an author grew from there.

Dalene: Can you tell us about your recently released book? What plans do you have for this series?

LynDee: Politics, murder, danger, and a heart tangle to boot—Nichelle has trouble from all sides in BURIED LEADS. It was so much fun to get her into messes and watch her dig out of them.

The next two parts of the series will be out pretty quickly, too. DATELINE MEMPHIS is a novella that will be on sale in the anthology HEARTACHE MOTEL on Dec. 10. Nichelle gets to go to Graceland for Christmas, but there’s no room at the official inn, so she ends up in a seedy motel. Mayhem ensues.

After that, the third novel, SMALL TOWN SPIN, will be on sale everywhere in April.

Dalene: Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular image/artwork?

LynDee: I don’t get to have a say in the cover art, but I’m cool with that, because the art department at Henery Press is amazing. They do ask me if there’s anything I would or wouldn’t like to see, which is more input than a lot of authors get, but I’m always so happy with the finished product that I just tell them to do their thing. Fayette Terlouw has done all of my covers so far and I am a big fan of her work.

Dalene: Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

LynDee: Oh, this is like a favorite child question! I guess if I have to pick one, I pick Nichelle, because I identify with her the most. But I love them all. Except Shelby.

Dalene: How about your least favorite character?  What makes them less appealing to you?

LynDee: That’s way easier. Shelby is my least favorite, but every work environment seems to have that one person who just gets under your skin. She is fun to write, but I like the scenes where Nichelle gets to tell her off best.

Dalene: Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series:

LynDee: Everyone loves Joey (including me) but here’s a fun tidbit: he wasn’t supposed to stick around. My original notes had him coming in with a story tip for a scene in FRONT PAGE, and then disappearing. But he just kept showing up, and now Nichelle is kind of attached to him.

Dalene: What other books are similar to your own?  What makes them alike?

LynDee: I think a lot of the Henery Press books are similar to mine, because they’re carving out a nice niche in the humorous mystery market. The Rose Strickland Mysteries and the Cherry Tucker Mysteries are the other two series featured in HEARTACHE MOTEL, and we all write smart, sassy heroines with a penchant for trouble. I also love Gretchen Archer’s Davis Way Crime Caper series. They’re so funny!

Dalene: What is one tip you want to share with an aspiring author?

LynDee: Don’t give up. You have to have a thick skin and be willing to take rejection and feedback and always, always be willing to make the manuscript better. But if you quit, you’ll never know what might have been.

Thanks LynDee for sharing with us today!!

Be sure to send her some author love! Check out her contact info below:

 LynDee Walker grew up in the land of stifling heat and amazing food most people call Texas, and wanted to be Lois Lane from the time she could say the words "press conference." An award-winning journalist, LynDee traded cops and deadlines for burp cloths and onesies when her oldest child was born. Writing the Headlines in High Heels mysteries gives her the best of both worlds. LynDee is a member of Sisters in Crime and James River Writers. BURIED LEADS is her second Headlines in High Heels mystery. Her debut, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, is an amazon multi-chart #1 bestseller. A Headlines in High Heels novella will be in the anthology HEARTACHE MOTEL, on sale Dec. 10, 2013, and the third novel in the series, SMALL TOWN SPIN, is coming in April 2014.

LynDee adores her family, her readers, and enchiladas. She often works out tricky plot points while walking off the enchiladas. She lives in Richmond, Virginia, where she is working on her next novel. You can find her online at www.lyndeewalker.com.


Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/lyndeewalkerbooks
Author page: http://www.lyndeewalker.com
Twitter: @LynDeeWalker
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/LynDee-Walker/e/B009PD6PKW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1



8 comments :

  1. Isn't the keurig the best invention EVER! I don't think I could live without mine :) What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, Felicia! I adore mine. Days when we're out of water for it qualify as emergencies around here. Glad you enjoyed the interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having me today, Dalene! This was a fun interview! I posted some big news on Facebook this morning about the future of the series, too. Very exciting day here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by!! I have been debating whether to buy my husband a Keurig for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to help with the interview!! It's fun to get to know the person behind the books. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST BEST BEST (I have had one for 3 years) thing ever. I am a tea drinker but this way I can make coffee for those stopping by if they want it :) I love the tea varieties they have too (recently there have been more). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did! I had debated on picking up the books and your interview sold me. I enjoyed Maggie Sefton's Politics mystery so I was pretty sure I would like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yay! Thank you, and I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete