Friday, December 6, 2013

Interview with Author Elizabeth McKenna

Today we're lucky enough to have Indie Author Elizabeth McKenna stop by the blog and share a little bit about herself. A year ago August, I read and reviewed Cera's Place. If you missed my post, you can see it here.





Tell us a little bit about yourself.


By day, I’m a technical writer/editor for a large software company. By night, I’m a wife, mother and historical romance writer. I live in a village on a very pretty lake. I spend my free time cheering on my teenage daughters in various sporting events and trying to expel the nervous energy from our sassy yellow lab.

Who or what inspired you to become a writer?


I had always wanted to write fiction, but knew that it would be easier earning a living writing technical manuals. After a conversation with my girls about “what I had wanted to be when I grew up,” I decided it was time to follow my true dream. I wanted to show them that it was never too late to try.

Specifically to your book, do you identify with any of the characters?

I suppose I identify somewhat with the main character, Marietta. She has had a life filled with tragedy and is looking for her slice of happiness. I think we all could identify with that.

Are any of the events or character development based on real life experiences?

Some of the events mentioned in connection with Casanova are from history. I read his memoirs as part of my research. Also, the doctor that Nico consults with is real. He was a pioneer in eye surgery.  

How did you come up with the title?




Of all the places I’ve been, I think Venice is one of the most romantic. I also love a full moon. I grew up next to Lake Michigan and there is nothing more beautiful to me than the moon rising above the lake and shining on the water. I find it very magical. So, I guess I put the two thoughts together and came up with Venice in the Moonlight.

How did you decide on the cover art? Did you have something pictured differently in the beginning?



I did have different artwork for probably the first year of writing the story. It was also a woman, but in a very striking pose with a red cape and black velvet dress. As the story and the character Marietta evolved, the picture didn’t fit anymore. I needed a softer look.



What book would you like to read again?



This is a tough one. Probably any one of the Harry Potter books. 

Is there a particular movie that you preferred over the book version?


I recently tried to read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. I loved the 70s movie with Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, and Richard Chamberlain. I just couldn’t get into the book. I may try again, though.


What book are you currently reading?


I think I’m going to start The Curse Giver by Dora Machado. I just gave up on another book, but I don’t want to share the title. It just wasn’t for me.


Are there any Authors that have grasped your interest recently and why? 
I had read the Hunger Games series a few years ago, but with the second movie coming out, I’m thinking of re-reading the series or reading some of the other Suzanne Collins books.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?



My reading glasses, lip balm, water bottle, and Kleenex.





Elizabeth has a new book out called Venice in the Moonlight. For all things related, check out her website and other social sites.


Blog: http://elizabethmckenna.com/my-blog/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethMcKennaAuthor

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ElizaMcKenna

Check out Amazon for both books:
Venice in the Moonlight
Cera's Place

Both will link you to the Kindle edition for 99 cents, but the books are also available in paperback. 

Thanks McKenna for your time during this Holiday Season!!


1 comment :