Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Book Review: Forget Me Knot by Mary Marks

San Fernando Valley, California is quite the place to retire. Martha Rose and her friends, Lucy and Birdie are enjoying the nice quiet life, their friendship and quilting group. They receive a call from another quilter, Claire, who wants to join their group. After driving to her house and meet to see if she would make a good addition to the group, they find her dead body and call the police.

The following day is a quilting contest where each of them, including Claire, have entered a quilt. During the reception of this event, a man is seen taking and running with some quilts. It just happened that one of the quilts was Martha’s and another was Claire’s. Wanting to solve the mystery of the quilts, Martha finds herself involved in the solving of the murder and potentially a victim herself.


Title: Forget Me Knot
Series: A Quilting Mystery #1
Author: Mary Marks
Publish Date: January 7, 2014
Publisher: Kensington
Source: eARC from publisher via Netgalley

Quick Summary:
Upon reading just a few pages of this book, I was a little skeptical that I would like it. The group of quilters and sleuth are of retirement age. I have not been a fan of senior sleuths, in past books, so hesitantly I kept reading. I am glad I did, as the age was not a factor at all, and I really enjoyed this book.

Characters:
Martha, Lucy, and Birdie are great friends. I loved their interaction with one another and the history of their friendship. Their stories made for a great story in this book.

Location and Setting:
Definitely not a cozy town, but the circle of quilters and friends were definitely cozy. I enjoyed learning about the quilts and remember myself doing some french knots on pillows. I’m thinking they’re similar to what Claire had put in her quilts.

Crime:
Very, very good. Pretty intense for a cozy mystery, but I really liked the family drama spin on the mystery. I also thought Martha made a very good sleuth, definitely with the help of her friends. Between the three of them, they had every aspect of knowledged need to solve the crime covered.

Romance:
I loved the flirting between Detective Beavers and Martha. I also liked how her friends were very curious of their relationship as well. Can’t wait to find out more.



2 comments :