Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: Murder Strikes A Pose by Tracy Weber

Kate owns Serenity Yoga in a cozy part of Seattle, Washington. Even though she’s struggling to keep things afloat, she loves the idea of her own business and what it can do to help people. When a homeless man, George, and his dog, Bella, show up outside her front door to sell daily papers, she’s not all that concerned until she notices the dog is very aggressive. While trying to help with finding another location for the dog, Kate gets know George and Bella which makes it even harder when she finds George dead and Bella without an owner. Taking Bella into her home so she doesn’t have to go to “jail”, Kate spends her time finding a home for Bella and solving the murder of George.

Title: Murder Strikes A Pose
Series: Downward Dog Mystery
Author: Tracy Weber
Publish Date: January 8, 2014
Publisher: Midnight Ink
Source: eARC from Netgalley via Publisher

Another cozy mystery centered around the Yoga theme. While very different from Down Dog Diary, this was definitely a “typical” cozy mystery and I very much enjoyed it.

Characters: Jake was a jerk from the beginning in my mind and I had to agree with everyone else, Why Alicia was even married to him? However, he did appear to treat her well and she never complained once about him. Even though George’s appearance in the book was short lived, I really did like the guy. His back story and why he ended up homeless was very interesting, as well as how Bella came to be in his possession.

Location and Setting: Seattle is not my first thought when I think of cozy, however, when you think of a small section of Seattle, there are plenty. This little cozy street of businesses and how they worked together, and potential for future books just amazed me.

Crime: Kate made a great sleuth and loved the fact that she drew on her previous relationships with those that could help her. This was a murder that I think I had figured out at one point, but then quickly dismissed it and looked for other options. Very well crafted.

Romance: Hot, hot, hot!! Rene was awesome to help this romance take hold. Go Rene!!

Links to other book reviews:

 About the Author:
I grew up on a dairy farm in Montana and spent my childhood surrounded by dogs, cats, cows, and a variety of other animals too numerous to mention. At age eighteen, I left the farm and temporarily moved to Seattle for college. Three decades later, I’m still here. My husband Marc was the first male I encountered while moving into my dorm at the University of Washington (U-dub), so I can honestly say that I moved to Seattle and married the first man I met.

My career choices have been as eclectic as they have been fulfilling. I received a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering and worked as a research engineer until I realized I liked hanging out with people better than machines. Back to U-dub I went, this time to study leadership. I received a Masters of Business Administration in 1993 and worked as an organizational consultant for several years before becoming a group manager at Microsoft.

In 2000, I celebrated the new millenium by leaving Microsoft to pursue a career teaching yoga. My friends and co-workers thought I’d gone crazy, and they were probably right. Nonetheless, I became a certified yoga therapist and opened my studio, Whole Life Yoga, in 2001.

Writing is my newest passion.

I’ve loved reading mysteries since the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys days of my youth, but I never considered writing one. Then, on one seemingly average day, Kate and Bella appeared in my head, insisting that I tell their story. Even as I wrote that first novel, the plot of the second began forming. Then the third. Kate and Bella have permanently taken root in my heart. I hope you adore them as much as I do.

Marc and I share our home with our challenging yet amazing German shepherd Tasha and our bonito flake-loving cat Maggie. When I’m not writing, I spend my time teaching yoga, walking Tasha, and sipping Blackthorn cider at my favorite local ale house.

I am a member of Sisters in Crime, The Pacific Northwest Writers Association, and the Dog Writers Association of America.


No comments :

Post a Comment