Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Reining in Murder by Leigh Hearon

Title: Reining in Murder
Series: Carson Stables Mystery #1
Author: Leigh Hearon
Publish Date: March 29, 2016
Publisher: Kensington
Source: Netgalley

About the Book:
When horse trainer Annie Carson rescues a beautiful thoroughbred from a roadside rollover, she knows the horse is lucky to be alive…unlike the driver. After rehabilitating the injured animal at her Carson Stables ranch, Annie delivers the horse to Hilda Colbert--the thoroughbred's neurotic and controlling owner--only to find she's been permanently put out to pasture. Two deaths in three days is unheard of in the small Olympic Peninsula county, and Annie decides to start sniffing around. She's confident she can track down a killer…but she may not know how ruthless this killer really is…

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book in the beginning. I then remembered that it’s a first book of a series which does require a lot of getting to know the location and people.


My Review:
I choose to review this book because of its equine theme. I have loved horses since I was a little child and the book did not disappoint on this aspect.. The horses and Annie’s knowledge of them and their training was very interesting.

Annie was a great main character. She lives by herself, so there wasn’t a lot of excitement at the home unless interested in the horses or dogs. It was a great addition when the author introduced Lavender, her half sister, who came to live with Annie unexpectedly. Still few main line characters, but I am interested to see how some of the relationships continue to develop.

The crime was woven very well. I couldn’t figure it out, at least for the most part. There continued to be a few twists and turns that have me guessing in a couple different directions. Annie’s involved in the investigation also getting on the Sheriff’s nerves was entertaining.

Overall, I did enjoy this book and look forward to another installment. I don’t recommend this book to readers who are looking for some fluffy fun cozy mystery, but it is a well written book.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this ARC.

More info:




No comments :

Post a Comment