Monday, October 17, 2016

Assault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz

Title: Assault and Pepper
Series: Spice Shop Mystery #1
Author: Leslie Budewitz
Publish Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Berkley
Source: Library

About the Book:
After leaving a dicey marriage and losing a beloved job in a corporate crash, Pepper Reece has found a new zest for life running a busy spice and tea shop in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. Her aromatic creations are the talk of the town, and everyone stops by for a cup of her refreshing spice tea, even other shopkeepers and Market regulars. But when a panhandler named Doc shows up dead on the store’s doorstep, a Seattle Spice Shop cup in his hand, the local gossip gets too hot for Pepper to handle—especially after the police arrest one of Pepper’s staffers, Tory Finch, for murder.

Tory seems to know why she’s a suspect, but she refuses to do anything to curry favor with the cops. Convinced her reticent employee is innocent, Pepper takes it on herself to sniff out some clues. Only, if she’s not careful, Pepper’s nosy ways might make her next on the killer’s list…


My Review:
I love Seattle and so I was excited to read this series. I liked it okay, but was so inundated with details I just couldn’t enjoy the story. I loved how the reader brought in the homeless population to this story, as it is a huge population in that area and specifically Pike Place Market. I loved the idea of getting to know all the little shops because as a tourist you’re so taken in by everything it was fun to just hear about each shop individually.

Pepper is a great character. I like how she came from Human Resources to owning a spice shop and really needing to lean on employees who worked for the former owner. I liked how this showed her vulnerability, but that she was a strong character, very smart, and intelligent enough to figure out the crime. Tag was a very interesting character in the story

The mystery was very well put together and intriguing enough to keep me reading. It was interesting to find out who was the killer. The spice shop was fun to hear about combining certain spices for all sorts of dishes. That was new to me.

I will probably continue with the series, as first installments do a lot of set up and so details are needed, but it won’t be real quick.


No comments :

Post a Comment